Bright flasklight?

Page 1 of 2
I have a 3-D-cell LED no-name flaslight and the LEDs are going out and otherwise screwed up. I can't figure out how to remove the LED assembly to replace LEDs as required. In light of this can someone suggest a nice bright flashlight of another type or at least more easily repaired? Do they still make those 9-volt battery flashlights? I've not seen one for a long time.
Recommendations of something I can easily find locally?
TIA
On 11/14/2015 10:30 AM, KenK wrote:

Look around on the internet. There are scads of cheap to very reasonably priced LED flashlights. With your 3-D it almost sounds as if it's a retrofit unit (LED module popped into an incandescent bulb unit). Lose it! Have several high quality Streamlight units and neither of them will hold a candle to a relatively cheap LED light with a rechargeable battery that is 1/4 the size. 1/4 the size and probably five times the light output.

Seeing as how this usenet group is worldwide (if "they" so choose) what would you consider local? Planet Earth? ;)
On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:

I'd ditch it and get a single bulb led. I've got a 3 D cell single bulb from HD rated at 200 lumens. I think Walmart carries a lot of good stuff.
The bulb itself should last practically forever but other electronics can go bad. Google up the innards of a led or cfl and they look more complex than my first Radioshack computer.
I had to toss one when the switch broke.
KenK wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoomable-2500LM-Cree-XM-L-T6-Led-Flashlight-Torch-2x-18650-Battery-Charger-USA-/381129182668?hash=item58bd11cdcc:g:ws4AAOSwMmBV0spO
I have purchased three of these flashlights, two for myself, and one for a gift. They are amazing!!!! Not local, but worth the wait.
On 11/14/2015 12:43 PM, Ken wrote:

It's safe to buy one of those now: they've already sold #666.
Perce
On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:

If yo want local, Koopman's has a few nice lights.
LED seems to be the way to go as you can get bright and long battery life. Check Amazon. I got a few small, single AA lights that are amazingly bright but they have a bunch of others. The ones I got are 300 lumen for $3. Cree brand.
They also have a 2,000 lumen (Amazon.com product link shortened)47523104&sr=1-15&keywords=flashlight&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A7801636011&pebp47523171600&perid9FDCT709T3DMDF6HJP

As an FYI, that's the same one you can get on eBay for 10 bucks. On Amazon it costs 30 bucks.
On 11/14/2015 11:30 AM, KenK wrote:

Flashlights, like so many things, cover a wide range of needs and features. Please answer a few questions, and we can do a better job of suggestions.
How much money to spend?
Does the flashlight live in your car, tool box, in the house, pocket carry, or glovebox?
Do you need close vision like repairing under the sink, or distance like racoons in trees?
Will this be a self defense tool?
How often to use this light? Daily? Only in rare power cuts?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2015 02:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/flashlights.png
xkcd comics can be a little cryptic but I think you'll get this one...
On 11/14/2015 9:50 PM, rbowman wrote:

Thank you. A comic I can understand.

Less than $20

In the house

Close

Hopefully not

Once a week?

On 11/16/2015 1:07 PM, KenK wrote:

Sounds like a Durabeam or some thing like that will do fine. Two D cells, and get alkaline batteries. Not heavy duty batteries. Should be able to get some thing well under twenty bucks.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/15/2015 07:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for success.
| Buying the cheapest piece of crap you can find is always the recipe for | success.
:) Indeed. They're all basically just batteries, a bulb and some kind of metal connection. And the light doesn't seem to know it's not well dressed. So there's not much sense paying more for a name.
Actually, though, after writing the earlier post I found my Maglite actually seems to have a halogen bulb. Maybe with some luck I can find a replacement.
On 11/15/2015 5:21 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, Ebay, Amazon.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/15/2015 03:21 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Not any more. High output LEDs require fairly sophisticated electronics. That's one place to screw up. I have some 3 AAA flashlights that were 3 for $20 at CostCo. The switch in the tail glows red to indicate a low battery. Unfortunately, that little option also drains the batteries in short order. The next generation skipped that option.
Another thing to avoid are flashlights that have a lot of little dome shaped LEDs. They may look cool but they're 15 year old technology.
On 11/15/2015 09:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

A have a couple of those. They're very dim. The brighter ones usually have a single LED.
--
39 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/15/2015 9:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:

CY: Mag has excellent repair service.
I'm not wild about LED flashlights.

CY: I've had good results with Mag. The filament ones are still at Walmart.

CY: Try Walmart, or Home Depot.

CY: Battery itself is about 2.50 at Walmart, for the cheap battery.
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 10:30:31 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

Flasklight!
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/BenDarrenBach/flask_zpsgpzgzs6a.jpg