Briggs & Stratton specs

Does anyone know the allowable shaft play on the B & S engines? It moves about in and out .020" on mine.
The oil seal is leaking and has to be replaced, but I'm wondering if the .020 is normal or excessive. There are not many hours on this in the past 18 months or so it "should" not be worn yet, but . . . . . .
Briggs & Stratton Intertek 206 6 HP Model 126312 Type 0212

"End play"/"float"/"thrust"... that sounds within tolerance... but I don't know nothin' about mower engines and I've forgotten most of what I knew about car engines.
But "performance" engines have sloppier tolerances so I'd think you could could run with it.
Maybe there's a better group for the question. -----
- gpsman

"End play"/"float"/"thrust"... that sounds within tolerance... but I don't know nothin' about mower engines and I've forgotten most of what I knew about car engines.
But "performance" engines have sloppier tolerances so I'd think you could could run with it.
Figured it was close to normal. Thanks.

past
I have a Hayne's manual for small engine repair and it gives some specs but it doesn't cover the B&S OHV engines (which is what I think you have). On the old regular lawn mower engines some play is normal and B&S has various thicknesses of gaskets to get it within tolerance. If the guys at your local lawnmower shop are friendly they might look it up for you plus they probably sell some repair manuals.

This is the OHV engine and it is on a Little Wonder vac machine. Since the shaft is enclosed I have no idea what it was like new to compare. Obviously the seal has to be replaced. The local shop where we bought it is closed for vacation but I'll give them a call next week to be sure.
Thanks.

Automotive engines with that much crank endplay will always develop a seal leak. The seals are designed with sipes to handle rotary sealing, but the back and forth motions allow oil to pump past the sipes and may cause excesive wear on the seal. Engine builders will often polish seal contact areas on shafts to enable effective sealing and long seal life. My WAG is that the endplay should be around 0.003", but if B & S wants more or less, follow directions.
Joe
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Up an down, along the axis of the shaft, I can see twenty mils being within spec.
Side to side, radial to the end of the shaft, not even close to spec.
Jon
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/buy/details.aspx?pid'6781
Repair Manual 276781 (formerly 274008) for Single Cylinder OHV Intek and PowerBuilt Engines built after 1981 through 2003.
$20.90
--Winston