Briggs & Stratton moving some production to China

Page 1 of 2
"...Briggs & Stratton spokeswoman Laura Timm says production of horizontal shaft engines and small generators currently made in Alabama will be moved to China."
http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Engine-Manufacturer-to-Lay-off-250-in-Alabama/iMQ7Equ6SU2geTsv2kSQNg.cspx
HeyBub wrote:

What's that flushing sound I'm hearing?
Oh - right...
On 4/29/2012 7:39 AM, HeyBub wrote:

At the present rate of descent, how much longer before China totally owns the United States?
Will we become the United States of China?
On 4/29/2012 9:46 AM, Harvey Specter wrote:

i believe, financially, we already are.
--
Steve Barker
One year after Nobama's election.
At the present rate of descent, how much longer before China totally owns the United States?
Will we become the United States of China?
On 4/29/2012 3:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I would expect the rate of descent to increase as we near the bottom.
As more people lose their jobs to China, there will be fewer employed people to buy domestic products which of course will trigger more plant closings followed by more job losses. It's a never ending circle.
It can end, but it will require different "our Nation's Leaders" to be elected. Which isn't likely.
I would expect the rate of descent to increase as we near the bottom.
As more people lose their jobs to China, there will be fewer employed people to buy domestic products which of course will trigger more plant closings followed by more job losses. It's a never ending circle.
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:16:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:19:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It *couldn't* be worse. BTW, what do you care. You're just another Canuckistani?

Good Lord, you're stupid. I never said otherwise. Yes, for the grace of a few rebels 130something years ago, it could be England! Gack!

Recent news articles indicate that some of the jobs lost to China are coming back to the USA.
BGG isn't shutting down that plant, just moving one of the product lines to China.
I don't know how much product BGG sells in China, but sometimes in order to be able to sell into a market you need to move some manufacturing there. With a government controlled market like China, that could be especially true.
Not to make excuses for CEOs that decide to move jobs overseas. One can only hope that the CEO jobs move there as quickly as possible.
--
Dan Espen

And, all of that is included in cost of hiring the worker. So, it appears to be free, but is really part of thier compensation.
Like the matching FICA in the US is part of the compensation.

We could easily compete with the Chinese. It's the liberal Democrats that make it too expensive to do business.
Rush says, we're supposed to compete with the Chinese. Why with all the overhead like Worker's Comp and such, we have to eat less fish heads & rice than the Chinese. Shame on the American worker who wants a living wage. We need to turn this country into a Third World Nation to be competitive!

So, you're proud you want to compete with communism. Nice! I suppose you're sitting there wrapped in an American flag, while typing that.
On 4/29/2012 6:39 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Engine-Manufacturer-to-Lay-off-250-in-Alabama/iMQ7Equ6SU2geTsv2kSQNg.cspx
Their product has become a piece of shit over the years anyway. There was a time when B&S was THEE engine to have. Now it's worse than a junky Tecumseh.
--
Steve Barker
On Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:39:45 AM UTC-6, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Engine-Manufacturer-to-Lay-off-250-in-Alabama/iMQ7Equ6SU2geTsv2kSQNg.cspx Why don't ALL manufacturers move their factories to China?
Goddamned idiots. I will NEVER buy anything with a B&S engine again.
On 4/29/2012 11:58 AM, Roy wrote:

Get over it.
Over 20 years ago I knew a Ford engineer that left the company when he got a three year assignment to adapt a Ford car to take a Japanese engine. He was not being patriotic or anything, just thought the job was boring so he went elsewhere.
I sued Ford about 30 years ago about one of their POS cars, which turned out to have been assembled in Mexico.
I've been criticized in buying eye glasses from China for $50 which cost me $350 here. Guess what the eye glass case for the $350 glasses has on it? Right, "Made in China"
On 4/29/2012 1:03 PM, Frank wrote:

The last pair I bought was approx $100 AND they were made in USA.
http://www.peerlessoptical.com /
"All Peerless Optical prescription eyeglasses are made in the USA. Utilizing the most technologically advanced materials, manufacturing and marketing methods, we deliver our product direct from our optical laboratory in the United States to you."

The USA has so many stupid laws. Take for example, child labor laws. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to put our 6 & 7 year olds to work on assembly lines like the Chinese. Just think, if we did this, and got rid of minimum wage, all of us could have more money. Heck, get rid of the entitlement programs like SS, granny would have to sit in her wheelchair on the line instead of her rocker collecting SS for which she paid into all those years. If the EPA would step out of the way, companies could still be dumping in rivers, we could have more rivers on fire like what happened in Cleveland. Companies could save billions!

Why do people call the SS an entitlement program ? It started out as a type of forced 401K program. If you did not put money in it, you did not get anything out of it. Then when there was a lot of money in it the government could take it to get votes.