Briggs and Stratton 'Touch and Mow'

I recently purchased a Troy-Bilt (MTD) Tuff-Cut 230 that has a feature called Touch and Mow. A spring starts the engine with the push of a button. The spring gets wound back up when then engine is shut down. It is a nice feature to have.

I question the longevity of the starter spring however. I believe this has been around for a few years now; has anyone dealt with broken spring starters yet? I'm wondering how easy it is to replace in the event that the spring breaks. A search on Google returned nothing relevant.

Todd

Reply to
Todd F

I question the longevity of anything made or sold by MTD.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

it is only replaced as a complete assembly you dont repair it. it only been around for a couple years now so not sure on the longevity.

Reply to
DR, Bob

Me too however it was between that and a Deere that was almost twice as much. My last MTD lasted 8 years and is still going strong aside from the crappy belt/chain transmission in the rear of the mower.

Todd

Reply to
Todd F

After a long life-time of using lawnmowers, tillers, etc. I would not have an automatic start engine. What do you do when it doesn't start on the first try? Must be something to rewind the sping I suppose but it's just extra work. A pull rope is instant reset. I now have two Honda mowers and a Honda tiller. All start on one pull...ALMOST always. I have an almost new Trybilt with a Briggs. I am lucky to get that going on 3 pulls.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The pull starter still works in this case. What's nice is you can either choose to start the engine with the rope or wind the starter with the rope.

Todd

Reply to
Todd F

Aha, I was wondering about that. The only one I had seen had to be manually rewound.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K