Briggs and Stratton Engine Problem

Page 1 of 2
I have a 2 year old JD lawn mower with engine problems. Runs rough and hard to start. Any adjustments that I can make? Air filter and spark plug new. Gas is also new.
On 7/4/2011 11:20 PM, finiteguy wrote:

Ignition, fuel, air are it...beyond that you're talking mechanical damage. Eliminate problem(s) in each of the above.
Which engine, which mower? 2-yr isn't long unless it's been shorted on the maintenance or somehow abused. Older and I'd suspect the traditional carb-to-body connection loose that screws up air mixture by extra air inlet which also has variable symptom as runs owing to the vibration changing the gap. Shouldn't be a problem w/ newer but never hurts to check.
If no joy, there's always Mr Deere to help... :)

Almost always fuel issues. Sometimes gas evaporates from the carb while it sits for long periods and deposits form. Remove, disassemble, and clean the carb. Make sure the jets are clean. If you see deposits then use a small piece of wire to clean out the main jet. If it's just 2 years old and you are careful you probably will be able to reuse the gaskets.
One way to help prevent deposits from forming is ti shut the gas off and let the engine run until it dies. You don't need to do that during the summer but you should at the end of the year if it's going to sit for the winter.
On 7/5/2011 10:47 AM, Bob F wrote:

I keep hearing this but in 50+ something years I've seen the feared gas deposits in the small engine carb exactly -- well, let me count: yes, zero times. Sediment in fuel from contamination, yes; the fuel itself I just don't see it and never do more than close the cutoff in winter storage. Come spring, a spritz of fresh in the carb itself for starting and away she goes; fresh in the tank to top it off will mix in and by time need a refill you're all brand new again for another year.
I don't buy it...if it's a fuel issue it could be but I'll bet it's more of a contamination than otherwise caused. Older leaded gas was somewhat worse because the lead would gum out but unleaded "not so much"...
$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

I've fixed multiple carbs that had deposits inside the jets. Causes a lean condition and make them run rough or surge. Is it just the fuel, or is it the fuel plus contaminants, could be. But with lawn equipment the likelyhood of contaminants in the gas is pretty high. In gravity fed carbs vented to the atmosphere evaporation will just continue all year. Turning off the gas stops that. Running the gas down is even better. It's not a problem with the little diaphram carbs. They don't have a float bowl.
On 7/5/2011 12:42 PM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

Maybe I'm just lucky... :)
Never had anything w/ anything but standard bowl carb's on any lawn gear (except the two-cycle stuff and it doesn't count anyway what w/ that stinkin' oil in the gas thing... :) ).
But, ime, that's the last thing I ever would look for as a problem; it just hasn't ever been an issue for whatever reason.
As the extreme example (and even I don't recommend this :) ) had a small tiller that when moved from TN back to farm didn't use for about 10 years. It had nothing done to it the fall last used it in TN; just rolled it into the garage and let it sit. Put it on truck as was; unloaded it and put it in shed when got to KS. Decided that the cultivator attachment on it might make wife's gardening a little easier last year so rolled it out. In that time the gas left in the tank had become rather thick ;) but despite taking the carb off and apart, it showed no indications of any problems. Rinsed out tank, blew off the accumulated KS dustbowl dirt of 10 years in not very tight shed and it started right up and runs as well ever...when warm, shut off and changed oil and following that went to work.
Granted, if had realized wasn't going to use it for several seasons at the time I would have drained the tank and done some storage things but my experience is simply that just leaving stuff over winter doesn't lead to any high rate of occurrence of carb clogging/gumming/whatever--just don't see it for whatever reason. I will find a fair amount of sediment in float bowls and empty them but other than that I fill the tank and go for the most part. I can't explain why if that's not a common experience; I'm just following dad (and grandfather) in behavior/treatment.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:42:19 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

causes the problem
On Jul 5, 9:24pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I agree, water and ethanol is another problem. It settles out when the amount of water absorbed by the ethanol reaches a certain saturation. Worse with small engines because they sit longer and their fuel systems are more exposed to the atmosphere. I use premium and add stabilizer all year. I'm never sure when I'm going to stop using gas equipment. I run the bowl dry on my generator because it sits longer than anything else.
On 7/6/2011 7:03 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

Amazing "everybody" else seems to have such troubles and I somehow don't...never had any sign of any "settling out" w/ E10 and all the gas-powered gear (from the smallest 3 hp tiller to two riders to the trucks (the old grain truck sits for months at a time, particularly over winter) to the JLG 40H manlift (Wisconsin air-cooled V4) which also sits for sizable periods.
Just never seems to be an issue w/ fuel/carburetor problems; the C60 truck is a '58 has been on the place since new; it's never had the carb touched in those 53 years and other than replace the fuel filter on (rare) occasion, it's never had any fuel system maintenance (oh, well, yes, I did replace the tank sending unit a few years ago as it had failed, but all that affected was the dash fuel gauge, of course).
I'm still puzzled by why there seems to be so much trouble elsewhere it's the first thing everybody jumps on when there's any problem at all...it really is beyond my ken/experience that fuel/carb is an issue.
The biggest problem I've had w/ small engine carbs is the eventual wearing of the body around the throttle shaft so that excess air srews up mixture or it gets difficult to keep the carb body mounted solid on intake with time which leads to same symptoms/problem. But not trouble w/ jets gumming/floats sticking, etc., that seems to be what other gets commented on most heavily.
Guess it'll just have to remain a mystery... :)

MOST is "ethanol free"
On 7/6/2011 8:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Nope, even Equity is E10; no local distributor has anything w/o at least E10

be sold . EPA law.
On 7/6/2011 10:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

As of last October, E15 waiver was granted by EPA for 2007 and newer vehicles; not for prior to 2000 model years and those in between are still in limbo. Release EPA420-F-10-054, October 2010
EPA promulgates regulations; underlying laws are enacted by the Congress...
The point was that all distributors locally have gone to ethanol blends so there is no local supply of 100% gasoline any longer which was the answer to your previous supposition.
My difficulty in the problems other folks keep raising that I've talked about in the overall thread is that I've never seen such kinds of carb problems in 50 years and a wide variety of vehicles nor was I aware that dad or grandfather ever had such kinds of issues before I took over maintenance duties myself and that covers a long period of time before there was any ethanol at all in US gasoline and the period of tetra-ethyl lead as well.
I still don't grok why there's this apparent dichotomy of experience and find it most curious and puzzling.

Yea, we get it already. You haven't had these problems. Well, others have. Equiment that has sat for a long time sometimes needs it's carb cleaned. I got a perfectly good lightly used 5hp chipper for $50 that way. Wouldn't start. Removed and cleaned the carb, put it back together and it is fine.
On 7/7/11 8:41 AM, dpb wrote:

Someone you know buys a brand new shiny vehicle. Suddenly, there are dozens of the same model on the road you've never noticed before.

It might be that you are using your stuff more regularly than most.
On 7/7/2011 8:14 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

I don't know...possible, I suppose; that would depend on what "regularly" means in the context. :)
Sometimes it's on order of month or longer; never mess about doing anything on small stuff for over winter and the extreme was the aforementioned tiller that was something like 10 years...
I'll go away now but I still stand confounded by the apparent issue as finding it so unlike my experience and that just seems unusual...

what I've had happen several times is on small engines with floats in the carbs to control fuel level in the bowl, similar to an automotive engine, I've had the float stick to the bottom of the bowl and make the engine flood out. I can only hypothesize that this is due to gum/ varnish from the old gas, but usually simply pulling the bowl and cleaning the bowl and float solves the issue.
nate
On 7/5/2011 1:53 PM, N8N wrote: ...

Guess I'm lucky... :) --only float problems I've experienced have been pinhole leaks have doomed a couple and the float valve jet getting some sediment that keeps from seating or deforms/abrades it enough won't seal. Old '78 Chevy 4x4 was so bad at one time that it ran enough raw gas into the block it flooded the plugs out...took a little head-scratching first symptoms; had never had the event until nearly 65 yr old w/ have lost count the number of vehicles, small and large in that time! :)
Don't believe any of above has been fuel per se or related to the magical properties somehow obtained by letting fuel sit for a few days or months, though; it's almost always sediment either from tanks or simply contaminated.
Yet again, ime, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ..., of course.

It seems that the gas where I live has enough ethenol in it that it will setup. I have a 5 kw generator and before I started putting the Sta-bal in the gas, I had to clean out some green goop in the carborator several times. That was after it set about 6 months without starting. I now start it atleast once a month and it will start on 2 or 3 pulls at the most.
I now put the Sta-bil in all the gas for the small engines and have not had that problem. I bought a tiller two years ago and often use it just in the spring. It usually starts on about 3 or 4 pulls with the old gas in it.
I do not seem to get the sediment problem as the gas cans are plastic and so are most of the tanks.