Briggs and Stratton 5 hp Starter Rewind Problem

My grandfather recently gave me his old Keen Kutter tiller. It has a

hp Briggs and Stratton motor on it. It hasn't been ran in about years and after changing the fluids and the plug it pretty much fire right up. The only problem I'm having is that once it starts and th pull cord pulls back in the coil, it kicks it back out and makes a awful noise much like if you try and start your car while it is alread running. Does anyone know that cause of this and how I might be able t fix it. I looked briefly at the pull cord and assembly and couldn' figure out how to remove it to work on it. Any help with this woul also be great. Thanks for the help. Dal

-- dlusby22

Reply to
dlusby22

Sounds like the recoil/rewind part for the rope is rusted. Take the rope mechanism off the engine and service with wd-40 or the like. Keep away from the spring part, they are a bear to rewind. At least in my opinion

Reply to
SQLit

Yep, I know that noise.

You hve to pull the motor cover (which holds the rewind). Usually three bolts, 7/16 socket. One at 3/8 for the throttle cable.

Under the motor cover, there is a "nearly square" shaft, wh ich rotates in one direction only. Sticks out from the center of the flywheel.

It's been awhile since I have repaired one of these, but here is my memory:

turn the motor so that the shaft points up towards the ceiling. Take out three or four small screws which hold the screen on to the flywheel (1/4 inch nut driver works).

Gently pry off the small cover t hat goes around the square shaft. The cover is about 3 or 4 inch diameter, and has a bit of rubber gasket.

Note that there are about seven or so small ball berrings w hich must not be lost.

Slide the square shaft up and off. Clean the round shaft with gasoline and a rag. Clean inside the square shaft. Qtips and gasoline works nicely.

Put a snort of powdered graphite into the tube inside the sqaure shaft. Or leave it dry.

Lift all the small ball berrings with a magnet. Put the square shaft back on. Make sure the squar\e shaft spins easily around the center (round) shaft.

Put the ball berrings back in. Round cover back on. Screen and couple small screws back on.

Before you put the Motor cover on, you may wish to look along the edge where the spring hooks on, give it a squirt of oil like Castle or Thrust.

Replace motor cover.

Remit $48.50 for advice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hate to admit it, but Stormy has the correct answer! The cure I do not agree with. I had a repair shop for a few years and repaired more B$S rewinds that I can remember! To remove the rewind you remove the whole air shroud. One bolt on the top of the engine, near the sparkplug, one bolt on either side of the engine. Stormy's desciption is fairly acurate. Briggs and Stratton recommends a drop or two of motor oit on the shaft to lube the starter clutch. Not grease, motor oil! There is a oil wick down inside the square drive part of the clutch. Clean the shaft, clean inside the drive, add a drop of oit inside the drive, and a drop on the shaft and put it all back togather. Remember, just two or three drops, too much oil will create a mess.

Greg

Reply to
Greg O