Briggs and Stratton 14.6 hp Intek won't start after sitting idle for 8 months

HI,
I have a practically brand new B&S Intek that I bought last year and put on my lawn tractor to use solely for plowing snow in the winter. Only used it 3-4 times then ran it out of gas and it sat all summer and fall until recently. Now it won't start.
It seems like it's perpetually flooded so I thought the float was sticking as the starter turns great and there's a good spark. There's plenty of oil in the engine as well. Cleaned float mechanism-no help. Swapped float with identical float from another engine-no help. So now I'm looking for help:)
What can go wrong when an engine sits idle for a while?
Oh, and yes I did put gas in the tank.
Thanks in advance for your help.
John

Dirty carbie. Disassemble, dunk in carbie solvent and reassemble.
It happens all the time with motorcycles in cold climates.
Next time it's going to be put away, put Stabil in the gas and run it for a while before storing it.
-Don
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato
Don Fearn wrote:

Is this a vertical shaft mower, or a horizontal snow blower? What's the HP? What's the numbers on the end of the motor cover?
At the moment, what comes to mind is timing thrown off, and leaking compression.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

There are three things you need for an internal combustion engine to work:
AIR
SPARK
FUEL
Check for ALL of them; not just spark.
Oh yeah, there's a fourth:
TIMING
The spark has to happen at the RIGHT time, or it won't work.
Actually, there's a fifth too:
COMPRESSION
Usually an engine can run with low compression, but never well. So check that out too . . . .
-Don
-- When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty