BridgeGate extends all the way to the top. Feds gettings involved

Page 1 of 7
Officials loyal to Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey went to elaborate mean s to make it appear that the September closing of lanes leading to the Geor ge Washington Bridge was part of a traffic study, even though their private communications suggest the move was purely political, according to documen ts released on Friday.
The documents also show a concerted effort to keep their true motivation hi dden, including the insistence by one official of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in an email that communications about the matter shoul d not be conducted by email or discussed publicly.
Among the documents was a PowerPoint presentation prepared after three days of snarled traffic, titled “EARLY assessment of the benefits of the tria l.
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:30:45 -0800 (PST), "David Smith Jr."

I guess he was too late on that, given what that woman had already emailed.
Christi's press conference was 2 hours long, and the news certainly didn't play it all, and even if it's online, I don't think I have the patience to watch it, but two things bother me, subject to correction.
He fired that girl, but what about the head or assistant head of the Port Authority that he appointed, who was directly involved in it, I guess the one you refer to above. Did Christi say that he should resign? Or anything about him?
And the part ABC TV news showed (and admittedly ABC news is about as bad at doing news as a network can be.) only showed him saying, If someone lies to me, he's fired. Nothing about, If someone screws up traffic for personal reasons, he's fired. Did he say that too?

LOL. Was there ever a later assessment after all the "data" was in?
Aren't they guilty of breaking some laws, too? Malicious mischief? Worse?
The news sometimes says that someone died, possibly because of the delay in the ambulance reaching her. I hope the family sues, even if the death was inevitable and not caused by the delay. Heck, people sue for inadequate reasons all the time, but here their subpoenas should help to get the full story.
clipped

Being involved in the mess for retaliation is one issue. Even if Christy was not involved, WTF was he doing for the 4 days this was going on.....the governor doesn't know about a city and bridge effectively cut off from emergency services? Really? I was beginning to like the guy, especially since he hugged Obama; such an outrage!

That's a good point.
I've driven into the city there, but never in rush hour iirc. If it was rush hour, I did things in New Jersey until it wasn't. And traffic is heavy all the time, takes maybe 5 minutes to go the last 1/2 mile when things are at their best during the day,
I have a good friend who used to drive that way every day, but was retired by the time this happened.

But here's an experiment. Assume Christi is totally innocent.
Given his personality, you know he wants to curse, or tell off in the strongest way, the woman he fired. You know he wants to call the guy he appointed and curse him out. But even wrong-doers** get self-righteous when they imagine they've been overly criticized, and if he does this, there's a good chance they'll tell the press that Christi told them to do this, even though he didn't (we're assuming).
**And they probably think they did nothing wrong. After all, isn't this how the game is played!
Google allows searching on specific dates or date ranges.
Sept. 17 http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324665604579081630876156774 Mr. Sokolich said he had a good relationship with the Christie administration and couldn't imagine he would be important enough for the campaign to punish him for not publicly endorsing Mr. Christie. The mayor said he was supporting Democratic Sen. Barbara Buono, Mr. Christie's challenger.
"I've always been incredibly supportive of Gov. Christie even in the face of people criticizing me for it. I find it incomprehensible that there's any truth whatsoever to these rumors," he said.
Kevin Roberts, a spokesman for the Christie campaign, said that any notion that Mr. Sokolich faced retribution for not endorsing the governor was "crazy."
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/gwb_port_authority_christie.html Huttle said the notion that some agency officials would close the entrance ramps to punish a political foe was hard to believe.
Weinberg also said she found it difficult to believe that the Port Authority would snarl traffic and endanger people for political reasons.
=== This is what happens when insanity meets sanity.
On 1/11/2014 7:13 AM, micky wrote:

There is another pile of poop involving Christy and (supreme court?) judges in Jersey. Not being a follower of big-city politics, and going by gut feeling, I'd expect Jersey to be downer-and-dirtier than even Chicago. ;o)
On 1/11/2014 8:06 AM, Norminn wrote:

My gut sense is that the Dems will make a bit to-do about this, as long as the press will go along. That will serve to distract from the death of our soldiers in Benghazi, the death of border agents who were shot by illegals armed by Eric Holder, and the rising real unemployment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:06:49 AM UTC-5, NorMinn wrote:

Sigh.... The only pile of poop is what you just posted, starting with the fact that you can't even spell the governors name.
The alleged "poop" in this case is that Christie and the Democratic controlled legislature differ on who should or should not be appointed to the Supreme Court. Wow, imagine that, Republicans and Democrats disagreeing on SC appointments. Christie didn't re-appoint a lib and that got the Dems all pissed off. It was absolutely, unquestionably within Christie's right and constitutional authority as governor to do. Not only that, it's essential and what the voters who elected Christie twice want, because the SC has wrecked the state, with one lib loon ruling after another.
So, now loon Maddow over at MSNBC comes up with the bizarre theory that the whole bridge thing was to punish senate democrat leader Weinberg, not the Mayor of Ft Lee. The only problem is that there is nothing to support it and lots to refute it.
Here is a nice piece that totally demolishes it. Basic fact is that in all the emails, memos, etc, Weinberg is not mentioned even once. Ft Lee Mayor Sokolich, is mentioned many times, they even refer to him as "the little Serb" So, why are they talking about the mayor if Weinberg is the real target?
http://www.businessinsider.com/rachel-maddow-theory-christie-bridge-scandal-weinberg-2014-1
<stuff snipped>

Sorry, T4 just can't admit that this is an act of malice, not an accident or a case of poor judgment. Attempting to discredit Maddow is plain and simple misdirection. Maddow's article actually makes a lot of sense, even if the BusinessInsider doesn't think so. I suspect it will all come out as the Christie machine is examined from head to tail for more scandals.
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

The river is just starting to flow. Journalists are turning over every rock they can find because if the Christie-ans were dumb enough to think they could get away with the bridge lunacy, there are probably other stunts they've pulled that could be equally or even more damaging. I just read somewhere that Christie apparently omitted on his application as a federal prosecutor his connections to the Mob:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/nyregion/24christie.html?pagewanted=all
<<Mr. Christie says his relationship to Mr. Fiumara never came up in his F.B.I. background check after his appointment as United States attorney, and he never raised it, though he says he assumed investigators were aware of it.>> The fun's only begun for the governor. Christie, it's what's for lunch!
--
Bobby G.

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:13:55 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Well, if you do drive at rush hour or listen to the traffic reports, delays of 30, 45, even an hour+ to get through the bridges and tunnels either going into nyc or leaving are not unusual.
If it was

Did Obama call the IRS official who took the fifth in front of Congress and chew her out? Did he fire anybody? Did he call the state dept employees that were responsible for security at Bengahzi and chew them out? Did he hold a press conference and call their conduct appalling, humiliating, unacceptable? Did he fire them? No, they got six months of paid leave and then got their jobs back. Did he fire anyone for Obamacare, hold them responsibe? How about Fast and Furious? Some of those have been going on for 9 months to years.
In this case, within a couple months, the two PA officials resigned. Christie fired his deputy chief of staff and told his former campaign manager who was about to become state GOP chair to get lost. See the difference?

I strongly doubt they think they did nothing wrong. The fact that Wildstein took the fifth is pretty strong evidence of that.

Why didn't you post about Mayor Sokolich saying he was never asked to endorse Christie. That he never spoke to Christie about anything connected to this. That Christie says he didn't even know who Sokolich was until all this started. For all we know, it may yet come out that there was some personal motivation by Christie's deputy chief of staff from some factor other than that Sokolich didn't endorse Christie. From all indications, Sokolich was nobody special in terms of endorsing Christie. There are hundreds of mayors that didn't endorse Christie. Why the focus to get this one guy? I guess it's possible that there were other mayors, other politicians that they went after, but if it was widespread, by now you'd think there would a line of these other Democrats bitching to reporters.
<stuff snipped>

Not likely, but let's do it for hypothecation. Also, spell his name right because Christie supporters will attempt to dismiss your entire argument over a spelling error. (-:

You're assuming this all hasn't been well-orchestrated and that those fired aren't in line for well-paid sinecures.

"I am not a crook!" comes to mind. (-: I wonder whether in a state like NJ, with perpetually bad traffic and Christie having squashed the building of a new tunnel to relieve the jams, an impeachment effort could gain traction. I can't imagine what you could do to piss off citizens who have to drive in NJ traffic more than closing lanes for no reason. I think that lots of people who liked Christie (me, before this) are now worrying what he'll do if he ever reaches the Whitehouse. You can't step harder on your own dick then he just did.

Yes, he's on a tightrope now. If Kelly or one of the others feel they are being singled out for all the blame, they could easily have some evidence to exonerate them, like a pocket tape recording or something equally damning. This river has only just started to flow.

That's exactly right. A vengeful boss, as Christie is purported to be, will tolerate a culture of revenge because it aligns with his beliefs. Just like if the boss starts wearing suspenders, suddenly the staff does, too. (-: <humor alert>
--
Bobby G.

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:12:57 -0500, "Robert Green"

Let's talk about this, going forward.

During the 1948 or so campaign, Nixon called his Senate opponent, Helen Gahagan Douglas, a Communist, but later admitted to someone that he knew she wasn't. "That's the way the game is played," he said.

Or the LBJ story where he suggested that they circulate a rumor that an opponent was having carnal relations with livestock. The aide was (supposedly aghast) and said you don't really expect anyone to believe that he is a pig f*****? LBJ was supposed to say he just wanted to force his opponent to publicly deny it.
but what they conceal is vital."
On Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:12:57 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

If they can't spell his name, I say it's highly likely that they haven't bothered to read much or know the most basic facts of the matter. That has already been demonstrated here by some of you libs. As for Christie not likely being totally innocent, at this early stage of the investigation, you have nothing to base it on. In the case of Obama's scandals, like Benghazi, we've had a year and a half of investigation and we still don't know what, if anything Obama did between the time he was notified that the consulate was under attack around 5PM and 8 hours later, when 4 Americans were dead. You OK with that?

Sure, pile it on and ad lies. No one believed that a tunnel for *trains* would have relieved traffic jams. There are trains and train capacity now for those that choose to take them. An example of the problem is that with the current rail lines that stop in every town and go through grade crossings, it takes two hours by train to get from the NJ shore to nyc. I can drive there in an hour. A new tunnel would not have fixed that.
But that tunnel would have stuck NJ with billions in cost overruns that would have been paid for by taxpayers here, like me. NY was also unwilling to pay it's fair share, so Christie killed a bad deal.
an impeachment effort could gain

What a liar. Sure, try to tell us that you liked him before this and now, before we even have the facts, you no longer like him. I believe that when you tried to pile on with a 4 year old tunnel project he canceled. If you like him so much, how the hell did THAT pop into your lib brain? I'll bet you still think Obama is swell after:
Benghazi Fast and Furious IRSgate Huge Obamacare screw up Green Energy failures, where billions were lost that were handed out to political connected companies?
BTW, who exactly has Obama fired in any of the above? The classic Obama lib response is: "MY God, I'm SHOCKED that this went on.", like a scene out of Casablanca. We're going to have an investigation and find out what went on here....." The "investigation" drags on for years and goes nowhere, stonewalled at every step.
In the case of the IRS scandal, which is very similar to, the Christi scandal in the sense that it had apparent political motives to punish the opposition, 9 months later, the DOJ finally found someone to head the investigation. That lawyer donated $6K to Obama's campaign. That OK with you? The people screwed by the IRS, the Tea Parties, are just now reporting that they have finally been contacted for the first time by the FBI. THAT is how you libs handle scandals.
are now worrying what

At least it's his own dick and no one died, unlike Benghazi and Fast and Furious. And so far, no one has been able to show that Christie has lied. In the case of Benghazi, Obama, Susan Rice, etc went out of their way to lie and claim that it wasn't a terrorist attack, just a protest against a movie that grew into violence. Susan Rice did exactly that on FIVE Sunday news shows. How's that sit with you libs? You curious as to who wound her up and sent her out?

Then where are all you libs hiding? Why aren't there 50 mayors talking to reporters all saying that they were similarly screwed by Christie or his staff?
You're so quickl to condemn Christie before much is even known, yet give a long list of Democrats and libs a free pass. We don't even know for sure that this bridge thing was done for political purposes. For one thing, the mayor of Ft Lee has stated that he was never even asked to endorse Christie by ANYONE. Chrisite says he didn't even know who the guy was. Ft Lee is a little town of no real importance. There is nothing in the emails that I have seen that says why the closure was ordered. For all we know it could turn out that the person that initiated it had a personal beef with the mayor. Mabye the mayor was screwing someone's wife. But no need to find any of that out right? Let's just jump to conclusions.

and yet the blame was placed on him almost immediately and none of you fundies said diddly in their defence

On Monday, January 13, 2014 3:05:15 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Nonsense. I'd like to see an example where a Republican Congressman Senator, party official, immediately blamed Obama for what happened in Benghazi. They did blame him for not calling it an act of terrorism. And they did blame Susan Rice for going on 5 Sunday talk shows and claiming that it started as a spontaneous protest outside the consulate over a movie. Everyone on the ground there at the time had reported no such thing. They had realtime videos available that showed there was no protest. It started and ended as a full out attack on the consulate. So, yeah in the days that followed, they blamed Obama, Hillary, Rice, for *that* and rightly so. And they continue to blame Obama for still refusing to tell the American people what, if anything, he did from 5PM when the attack started until 8 hours later, when 4 Americans were dead. You OK with him stonewalling that? Don't the people have a right to hear him explain himself?
And they do blame him for not holding anyone accountable for the total lack of security at the consulate in the hellhole of Benghazi. There are scores of documents, dozens of witnesses testifying, that have established how dangerous Benghazi was, how the consulate had been twice attacked before, how just months earlier terrorists had fired an RPG at the British ambassadors car, seriously injuring a security agent and almost succeeding in killing the ambassador. There had been many similar attacks against similar targets like the Red Cross in the months before. Al-Qaeda flags were flying over parts of the city. The consulate had flimsy gates like you'd find outside a nyc townhouse. There are many cables, emails showing repeated requests for more security by those at the consulate, including Ambassador Stevens. The state depts response? They drew down security and had just two US agents there, relying on them plus a handful of Libyans of dubious qualification and loyalty. When the trouble started that night, the Libyans left. And the only weapons there were light arms.
And in the face of that, state dept official Charlene Lamb testified before Congress that she believes the security assets at the consulate were adequate for the conditions on 9-11. You OK with that? She is either a total idiot or a liar. And after that, she went on paid leave for 6 months, then got her job back. So, yeah, a lot of people blame Obama for not holding anyone accountable, continuing to stonewall those with legitimate questions, and again, rightfully so.

who cares about the politicians, I'm talking about the vaunted (fair) right media
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:26:06 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Keep lying. It suits you lefties.
<stuff snipped>

Excellent point. Reminds me of the murder cases of drug dealers. When the cops retrieve their cellphones they are usually overloaded with post-mortem calls from frantic druggies looking for a fix. Many times, however, ONE frequent called will have stopped calling right after the dealer's death. Why? Because he is the one that killed the dealer and he knows he's not going to be answering his phone anymore.
--
Bobby G.