brick work + more

A reasonable hypothesis, experimentally disproved.

Both floors of my two-story house have aluminum siding.

Yet my cellphone and my GPS work fine on any floor.

I haven't tried the GPS in the cellar, but the cellphone works down there. (And I am not close to any cell tower.)

The WiFi in my Macbook can detect several others from inside my house.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Yes, I think that doing new siding all around would be good too. You may want to check and see why water is leaking in through the window(s) first. It may be because the window(s) weren't installed correctly or there could be some other gap or source that is causing the leak(s). If it is easy enough to correct the leak(s) without replacing the wood siding, and if you otherwise like the wood siding, then you could fix the leaks and leave the wood and save some money. But, again, doing new siding all around would be nice.

I don't know which is "better", but I see lots of properties being completely rehabbed in the area where I live Southern New Jersey, and whenever they do new siding just about all I see them doing these days is vinyl. But, an easy way to get a good idea of what your options are and what the various costs might be would be to have a couple of contractors come out and see what you have and give you some suggestions and prices for the various options.

You could also just look around your neighborhood and nearby neighborhoods and see what others have and what kinds of new siding they are using.

Reply to
TomR

Which was in no way intended to recommend aluminum. Mine is rather ugly.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I forgot to add that if you are doing new siding anyway -- either just the front or on the whole house -- you may want to check into the possibility of also installing new windows at the same time.

Of course, that's easy for me to say since I won't be paying for it and you will. But, if you are already making the investment, it is a lot easier to replace the windows when the siding is being done than sometime later on.

Just a thought.

Reply to
TomR

signal strength depends on lots of non obvious things.......

cell companies can and do tune antennas to favor certain areas.

so 2 identical homes with identical siding may have great or no cell service.....

Reply to
bob haller

thanks a lot, i appreciate your thought and I actually thought about it and i will do it. i have been told to upgrade windows first and then the siding. i will do that once i find good and trusted contractor to do that.

thanks a lot once again.

Reply to
leza wang