brick work + more

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:55:16 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Ah, so you admit to being a liar.

Another lie, of course.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12-11-2012 12:38, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

I never heard of "vinyl made to look like brick" being used on walls. But anything is possible.

It's what I call it, too, but a lot of people call it fake brick. <https://www.google.com/search?q ϊke+brick>

--
Wes Groleau

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe.
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:24:00 -0500, Wes Groleau

Vinyl, no I haven't seen that either. Asbestos shingles that are *supposed* to look like brick, sure.

Right, but brick veneer can be full size bricks. Usually is, in fact.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:24:00 -0500, Wes Groleau

Technically, brick veneer is standard full thickness brick attatched as siding to a lumber (stick) framed houe, or a concrete block or ICF building for looks and protection that does not serve a structural role. This is in contrast to a solid brick or double brick construction.
What you guys are talking about is brick FACING - One major supplier is Glen -Gery Brick. Then there is the synthetic brick facing - like Flex-e-Brick
Add pictures here
βœ–

Vinyl can be made to look like jus about anything. And I have seen faux brick vinyl siding
Add pictures here
βœ–

Here's an example <http://www.fauxpanels.com/style-brick.php
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:35:57 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Not vinyl if you read the site - it's polyurethane - with silica and other mineral components added.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Monday, December 10, 2012 4:50:27 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply TomR Here are links to some pictures I took today (front and the side)
http://i47.tinypic.com/2vl8aj9.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/15s8tub.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/sykxnn.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/chumu.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/nleyqt.jpg
Thanks a lot for the suggesting about the vinyl siding. I am kind of relief now thinking there is another option rather than the brick because for some reason the brick idea scares me because it needs a lot of work and I am not sure if my house can handle that. Any feedback/suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks once again
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:25:50 -0800 (PST), leza wang

it is small > house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small > bathrooms. > > the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i > will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them > with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought > about real bricks. > > it is fully detached house. > thanks once again. I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably help in terms of people giving suggestions etc. But, even without the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about changing to vinyl siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot less expensive than brick.

thinking there is another option rather than the brick because for some reason the brick idea scares me because it needs a lot of work and I am not sure if my house can handle that. Any feedback/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

EEWW!!! Nasty cheap-assed job somebody did on that one. The brick facing was very poorly applied to the Aspenite sheathing. The window job doesn't look too inspiring either - was there a fake stone sill glued in there too???. It DEFINITELY needs some help!!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
leza wang wrote:

Thanks for posting the photos. I think that helps a lot.
It does look to me like the best, easiest, and probably least expensive option would be to have the existing brick/brickface removed and install vinyl siding. And, it looks like it is just the front of the house that needs that, so the job shouldn't be too big or too expensive. My guess is that some type of tan or light brown color vinyl siding will go with the foundation brick colors, the wood siding color on the side of the house, and the white railings. They should be able to trim in out around the window and on the vertical corners of the house in a way that will look nice. It also looks like that will go well with the house next door which appears to have either vinyl or aluminum siding.
Good luck.
Maybe you could post some before and after pictures whenever you do get around to doing whatever you decide to do.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, December 14, 2012 11:27:41 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

Thanks TomR for you reply and help. I was thinking to replace the wood siding as well. because when it rain the water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. So i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides as well (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?
Also I have another question if i may, which is better vinyl or aluminum siding? thanks a lot once again.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:07:03 -0800 (PST), leza wang

water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. So i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides as well (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?

Good vinyl is better tha crappy aluminum - and good aluminum is better than crappy vinyl. Any aluminum will be more expensive than any vinyl.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 14, 10:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

aluminum costs a lot more, can dent if hit by say a ball, and interferes with cell phone service inside your home. it acts like a farady shield, a metal enclosure..
yeah do all the siding at the same time, it will look great. end painting forever:)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12-15-2012 08:38, bob haller wrote:

A reasonable hypothesis, experimentally disproved.
Both floors of my two-story house have aluminum siding.
Yet my cellphone and my GPS work fine on any floor.
I haven't tried the GPS in the cellar, but the cellphone works down there. (And I am not close to any cell tower.)
The WiFi in my Macbook can detect several others from inside my house.
--
Wes Groleau

β€œA man with an experience is never
βœ–
On 12-15-2012 13:01, Wes Groleau wrote:

Which was in no way intended to recommend aluminum. Mine is rather ugly.
--
Wes Groleau

Even if you do learn to speak correct English,
βœ–

signal strength depends on lots of non obvious things.......
cell companies can and do tune antennas to favor certain areas.
so 2 identical homes with identical siding may have great or no cell service.....
Add pictures here
βœ–
leza wang wrote:

Yes, I think that doing new siding all around would be good too. You may want to check and see why water is leaking in through the window(s) first. It may be because the window(s) weren't installed correctly or there could be some other gap or source that is causing the leak(s). If it is easy enough to correct the leak(s) without replacing the wood siding, and if you otherwise like the wood siding, then you could fix the leaks and leave the wood and save some money. But, again, doing new siding all around would be nice.

I don't know which is "better", but I see lots of properties being completely rehabbed in the area where I live Southern New Jersey, and whenever they do new siding just about all I see them doing these days is vinyl. But, an easy way to get a good idea of what your options are and what the various costs might be would be to have a couple of contractors come out and see what you have and give you some suggestions and prices for the various options.
You could also just look around your neighborhood and nearby neighborhoods and see what others have and what kinds of new siding they are using.
Add pictures here
βœ–
TomR wrote:

I forgot to add that if you are doing new siding anyway -- either just the front or on the whole house -- you may want to check into the possibility of also installing new windows at the same time.
Of course, that's easy for me to say since I won't be paying for it and you will. But, if you are already making the investment, it is a lot easier to replace the windows when the siding is being done than sometime later on.
Just a thought.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:08:03 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

thanks a lot, i appreciate your thought and I actually thought about it and i will do it. i have been told to upgrade windows first and then the siding. i will do that once i find good and trusted contractor to do that.
thanks a lot once again.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12-08-2012 21:02, leza wang wrote:

good idea to use real brick? One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?
Because it is too heavy. Something BELOW it has to support the weight. Siding and "fake brick" are light enough for adhesive or fasteners to have the walls hold it up. Real brick is too heavy for that. But digging a hole and putting in blocks or additional foundation to support the brick might work. I understand the principle but I don't know the exact numbers. Ask an architect or a mason.

is an older home. and by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure that right but it is smaller house)
--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
βœ–