brick work + more

# # yeah brick requires digging and installing a new footer to carry the # bricks weight. and lots of work tying the entire structure # together...... # # vinyl siding and new windows with added insulation will be far less # expensive and lots less work, and you get a better insulated home with # lower utility bills:)

I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding" I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House. It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang just like other siding

Reply to
Attila Iskander

It's what he's got and doesn't want.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I disagree He has "fake brick" This is actual brick and/or stone material, NOT some vinyl made to look like brick. It's just that it's not free-standing, but instead attached to the house. So you get the real brick without having to build a supporting foundation for it.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

It's not that clear exactly what he has. Non-structural brick that covers a house is called "brick veneer". It is brick but doesn't hold up the roof.

That sounded like what he had, to me too.

Reply to
krw

wrote in message

Oh look someone redefined his addy to try to avoid killfiles

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Another idiot who can't figure out how to make a killfile.

Just for the terminally stupid people here: My new laptop has to go back for repair. This is same NetBook I was using up until I got it a couple of weeks ago. Now, armed with that information, perhaps you can spend a couple of weeks to design a useful killfile. ...but probably not. The morons are as thick a flies. ...and rocks.

Reply to
krw

And what makes you imagine that you were not flagged by my filter ? I like knowing what moron trolls like you are up to.

Rest of usual drivel ignored

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Ah, so you admit to being a liar.

Another lie, of course.

Reply to
krw

I never heard of "vinyl made to look like brick" being used on walls. But anything is possible.

It's what I call it, too, but a lot of people call it fake brick.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Vinyl, no I haven't seen that either. Asbestos shingles that are

*supposed* to look like brick, sure.

Right, but brick veneer can be full size bricks. Usually is, in fact.

Reply to
krw

Technically, brick veneer is standard full thickness brick attatched as siding to a lumber (stick) framed houe, or a concrete block or ICF building for looks and protection that does not serve a structural role. This is in contrast to a solid brick or double brick construction.

What you guys are talking about is brick FACING - One major supplier is Glen -Gery Brick. Then there is the synthetic brick facing - like Flex-e-Brick

Reply to
clare

Vinyl can be made to look like jus about anything. And I have seen faux brick vinyl siding

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Here's an example

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Not vinyl if you read the site - it's polyurethane - with silica and other mineral components added.

Reply to
clare

t. it is small > house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 = small > bathrooms. > > the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i ca= n see the wood. i > will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to= replace them > with something high quality that can last, that is why i th= ought > about real bricks. > > it is fully detached house. > thanks once ag= ain. I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would proba= bly help in terms of people giving suggestions etc. But, even without the p= hotos, my guess is that the suggestions about changing to vinyl siding may = turn out to be your best option -- and a lot less expensive than brick.

Thanks a lot for your reply TomR Here are links to some pictures I took today (front and the side)

Thanks a lot for the suggesting about the vinyl siding. I am kind of relief= now thinking there is another option rather than the brick because for som= e reason the brick idea scares me because it needs a lot of work and I am n= ot sure if my house can handle that. Any feedback/suggestions would be very= much appreciated. Thanks once again

Reply to
leza wang

[...]

EEWW!!! Nasty cheap-assed job somebody did on that one. The brick facing was very poorly applied to the Aspenite sheathing. The window job doesn't look too inspiring either - was there a fake stone sill glued in there too???. It DEFINITELY needs some help!!!

Reply to
clare

Thanks for posting the photos. I think that helps a lot.

It does look to me like the best, easiest, and probably least expensive option would be to have the existing brick/brickface removed and install vinyl siding. And, it looks like it is just the front of the house that needs that, so the job shouldn't be too big or too expensive. My guess is that some type of tan or light brown color vinyl siding will go with the foundation brick colors, the wood siding color on the side of the house, and the white railings. They should be able to trim in out around the window and on the vertical corners of the house in a way that will look nice. It also looks like that will go well with the house next door which appears to have either vinyl or aluminum siding.

Good luck.

Maybe you could post some before and after pictures whenever you do get around to doing whatever you decide to do.

Reply to
TomR

Thanks TomR for you reply and help. I was thinking to replace the wood siding as well. because when it rain the= water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. So = i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides as w= ell (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?

Also I have another question if i may, which is better vinyl or aluminum si= ding? thanks a lot once again.

Reply to
leza wang

water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. So i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides as well (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?

siding? thanks a lot once again. Good vinyl is better tha crappy aluminum - and good aluminum is better than crappy vinyl. Any aluminum will be more expensive than any vinyl.

Reply to
clare

the water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. = So i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides a= s well (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?

siding? thanks a lot once again.

aluminum costs a lot more, can dent if hit by say a ball, and interferes with cell phone service inside your home. it acts like a farady shield, a metal enclosure..

yeah do all the siding at the same time, it will look great. end painting forever:)

Reply to
bob haller