Brick Patio - Concrete Slab vs. Sand Set

We have a relatively formal 2 story brick house and want to add an adjoining patio, so we want it to be somewhat compatible. What are the pros and cons of having a slab with set in mortar bricks and not. Sand set does seem to cost less, but you do not want to make the wrong decision on that basis.

Reply to
HugYourPug

Depends how long you plan on living there,bricks set in mortar last alot longer then in sand.you can even have cement colored and poured to look like bricks but its really one slab .

Reply to
PoCambo

There actually 3 options that I aware of: Sand set over a compacted base. Mud set over a compacted base. Mud set or dry laid over a slab.

I have done and lived with the first two options on two different projects and houses. The darn ants tend to bring your sand up out of the cracks on a sand set. They do that enough and stuff starts to shift. I have been much more pleased with my second project where I created a compacted gravel base and set the pavers into about 1" of mortar. Then I filled the cracks with dry mortar mix add added gentle moisture to set the mix. I should add that I was using the concrete brick look pavers for both of these projects which are laid up touching each other and not with a wide mortar joint.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Depends on weather, moisture, temp, shade. All these things affect choice. Pavers or brick on compacted base, such as 4-5 inch. hand-compacted coarse angular gravel, overlain by several inches of tamped and wetted sharp sand or crushed rock base, can make a durable and attractive surface. Drains well, easy to re-level or replace stones. Downside, gophers/moles can undermine sand layer, insects can move the sand around, and you will need a sturdy plastic, metal, or wood edge/border to keep the patio in one place. You also have to to major digging and dirt removal - as much or more than with a slab. With brick mortared to reinforced concrete, you have good permanence as well, more surface stability, no gopher effects, and easy to clean with a pressure washer. Downside: in some areas you can get frost heaving, and slabs will often tip or crack as they settle, over time. And concrete slabs can look industrial and un-aesthetic. Suggest you go to a home center and peruse how-to books on paths, patios, and masonry. There are many, and give you precise instructions on how to either build , or supervise, such projects.

Reply to
Roger