Brick/mortar repair

I have a brick entryway that appears to have had a new door put in or some kind work above the main entrance where they either replaced or repaired the brick work. However, I noticed that there is mortar missing between the middle 4 bricks of layers 2 and 3.

I have some quikrete in the garage...would that suffice? Or should I use another mortar mixture?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

It is a weep hole and should be there. Also should be above each rectangular window and at the top of your foundation walls. Hopefully there is flashing in there too. Visit

if you want to learn about brick walls.

Reply to
Art

Art, I've looked through some of the literature on the site you mentioned (thank you), but am a bit confused. This opening extends about 36 inches horizontally (which is wider than what I saw on the web site...although maybe I haven't seen the correct document yet). It also appears that at one time, someone tried caulking it as there are remnants (I was able to get up on the ladder to look) of what looks like brittle caulk.

Should a weep hole be that wide?

Thank you, Dave

Reply to
Dave

I wanted to post about repairing the exterior brick surface of my fireplace. I spent at least 45 minutes on the bia.org site, which is really way too complicated and with too commercial an agenda for an amateur to profit from. (This site has been recommended on this newsgroup often.)

I think the gentleman who always posts with the site URL is obviously (lucky for him!) a professional; DIYers need much simpler, illustrated solutions--and more easily searchable sites.

Reply to
Pennsylvania Lady

The site is very clear once you get into it. What do you want to know? Basically if you study the site you will know if you are getting a good masonry job. Most people don't. A 20 year old wall just fell down in Raleigh, NC? Why? Because of inadequate ties between the brick and frame.

Reply to
Art

No it is not a weephole. Have to say I am stumped on this one. Do you see any steel in there? I wonder if the door was replaced with a shorter door and there is a steel lentil still in there for the old door height. Maybe probe with a magnet and see if an inch back whether it is steel the entire length.

Or maybe they had some decorative trim in there that slipped into the slot.

By the way, you need to try to match mortar and sand color or your repair will look like a repair. Depending on the age of the house this may be an issue for you. Mortar color varies by brand and type. Sand has infinite varieties. There are masons who speciailize in small repairs and you might want to consider having one look at it.

Reply to
Art

There is a plate above the door. However,I need to make a correction from my first post (when I posted, I wasn't looking at it), the "seam" is between the plate and the *first* row of bricks and extends 6 bricks wide (laid horizontally that covers the top of the door). So from from the door (top down)...

- row of bricks

- row of what appears to be something that was sandwiched in between (the front of which looks like caulk, the "inside" behind the caulk looks like crumbled brick)

- a metal shelf

The separation appears to extend in a stair-like pattern on either side of this 6-brick gap and the 2nd layer is a row of bricks placed vertically.

I am going to try to get a picture this weekend that I can post or email.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave