brick ledge

I live in a brick home with a stone foundation circa 1900. I want to install board and batten over the existing brick.
To break up the board and batten I want to put 18" brick corners and 18" brick columns around the front door.
I was told I could fasten an angle iron to the existing brick to support the new brick.
I was told to weld an angle to a plate 18" wide and 24" high, and fasten this plate to the wall using concrete anchors. The angle would only be supporting the weight of the bricks 18" x 8" high.
The existing bricks are concrete bricks not block. I was told the plate would not pull from the wall as it was a static load and it is just supporting the new bricks. Brick ties will also support the brick.
I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions or thoughts of this system.
Thanks
Wouldnt the new brick need a foundation poured and tied by rebar to the existing foundation, or it will sink and fall apart