Brick efflourencence?? onto stained, sealed concrete

I recently laid a brick step as a transition from one part of an old patio, to a new, lower level patio. Both the old and new patios were stained and sealed with a xylene base sealer about 3 months before I built the step. Now certain areas of the lower concrete surface have developed white stains up against the brick step. I do not think the clouding is coming from moisture seeping in from below, as we did put a vapor barrier under the new slab. I am assuming that it is efflourescence from the brick, because it started immediately after we laid the step.

It looks as though I will have to strip the sealer from the effected patio surface and re-seal it. How can I tell when the brick step has stopped the staining? I would hate to go through the effort of re-sealing the patio, just to have it cloud up again. Is there any way to salvage the existing sealer instead of stripping it and starting from scratch?

TIA for help.

Reply to
Wayne

probably the lime coming out of the mortar. Pretty common it will go away in a few years

Reply to
SQLit