Brick chimney question

Are brick chimneys attached to the house with fasteners of some sort , or are they usually built free standing next to the house? I was on the roof yesterday inspecting my chimney and when I gave it a bang with my fist, it seemed to move a little. I don't see any signs of leaning or crumbling, but I was just curious how it attaches to the house. I was thinking of getting a U-shaped bracket to attach it to the house, I don't know if its necessary or not. This is a split-level.
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:25:35 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

It would make be a bit nervous standing next to a column of brick and mortar that wasn't anchored.

Franz Fripplfrappl

It should not be loose from the house.