brewing coffee

Page 2 of 4

you should give him a step ladder to drink from the toilet tank?

Bullshit. Indonesian is the best.
I'll have to take your word for that, as I have never tried Indonesian. In my experience though, Sumatra is still #1.
: > Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee in any : > incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean, : > that's the way to go : : > As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra : > Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal, or : > maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable. : > : : : Bullshit. Indonesian is the best. : :
Oscar_Lives wrote:

Fight! Fight! (Who will sweep up the feathers?)
Jerry

in any

or
I think the funniest part is that Sumatra is very close, in geographical proximity, to Indonesia:). Honestly, I think Sumatra is in Indonesia.
aloha, Thunder, grower of great Kona smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
2006 21:46:29 GMT, smithfarms pure kona wrote:

You think right! ;-)
--
Seth Goodman

More than right. Sumatra is the largest island in the world and makes up MOST of Indonesia.
on Sun, 08 Jan

More than right. Sumatra is the largest island in the world and makes up MOST of Indonesia. I don't recall being impressed by the coffee, though.
on Sun, 08 Jan

Let me correct and slap myself. I was talking and typing, which I probably shouldn't do. Sumatra is the SIXTH largest island in the world, hardly the largest. It's the largest island in Indonesia, which is what I meant to say.
I think Jamaican Blue Mountain is the best, but who can afford it?
I got rid of a previous coffee maker because of the poor taste of the coffee it made. Eventually I used a swimming pool test kit to test the water and found it was so full of chlorine that I wouldn't even want to swim in it. I went to distilled water and it soved the problem. I now use a Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffee maker. Its makes the best coffee. I switch between the flavored coffees and Columbian Supreme. The Cuisinart first grinds the beans and the grounds fall into a funnel with filter paper, the water is heated and drops through the coffee. One simple operation. I prefer the paper filter as the gold filter allows to many grains to fall through.
on Sun, 08 Jan

i grind my own 8oclock beans
i stopped putting cream in my coffee...now i use a tad of sugar it actually tastes much much better
cream is for kids and other activities
on Sun, 08 Jan

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:02:37 -0600, "Robert Reznikoff"

Sumatra is the largest Indonesioan Island and I'm with you and the Jamaican Blue Mountain, the last time I priced it, two years ago, it was going $30 a 1/2 pound, way way way out of my range.
Kathy G.
Kathy wrote:

Ouch! Whittards have Sumatra Blue Lingtong for 6.70 for 500g.
http://www.whittard.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=bl12060&cid=t1000&language=en-GB
The Jamaica Blue Mountain *is* a tad pricey, at 10.20 for 125g      http://www.whittard.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=bm141_125g&cid=t1000&language=en-GB
One of my favourites is Elephant Ear, which is rather seasonal... I like my coffee medium roast but brewed strong enough to creosote a fence!
I have to say that is one of the funniest descriptions of coffee I have ever read! Creosote a fence... LOL!
Nomdeplume1
: Kathy wrote: : : > : > Sumatra is the largest Indonesioan Island and I'm with you and the : > Jamaican Blue Mountain, the last time I priced it, two years ago, it : > was going $30 a 1/2 pound, way way way out of my range. : > : > Kathy G. : > : Ouch! Whittards have Sumatra Blue Lingtong for 6.70 for 500g. : : http://www.whittard.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=bl12060&cid=t1000&language=en-GB : : The Jamaica Blue Mountain *is* a tad pricey, at 10.20 for 125g : : http://www.whittard.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=bm141_125g&cid=t1000&language=en-GB : : One of my favourites is Elephant Ear, which is rather seasonal... I : like my coffee medium roast but brewed strong enough to creosote a fence! : -- : Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls : Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons : http://www.katedicey.co.uk : Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

You're pretty damn close to spamming there, Mr. Ho.
But you DO have good coffee....

Chuckling I don't know about sweeping of the feathers but I will enjoy the Smatran! Sumatran Manderling is my favorite. Its, Harst, Dark, and perfect for someone who was raised on Air Force (US) style stength coffee. My folks didn't grind there own, it was 8 O'Clock all the time but I found the joy of freshly ground coffee beens on my own and got me a grinder.
Kathy G.
Kathy wrote:

My first exposure to coffee was 'Navy' coffee and that was enough to put me off coffee for another 5 or so years (i was such an innocent i did not know enough to put milk and sugar in the cup) till i moved to Berkeley, and a friend bought me a 'bianco' at the cafe med.
As for instant coffee i will take a cup of 'Medalia de Oro' instant esspreso and enjoy it, but most instant coffee isn't worth drinking IMO.
--
JL

Jerry Avins wrote:

I grind my own beans and use and esspresso maker for one cup at the time.
my cuisinart grinder will peel the beans and not just cut them up...it peels them down this is supposed to be the best way to grind the beans

Three grams per 6 oz. cup. Get an electronic scale for superior accuracy. Never use a blender type grinder like the Cuisinart - it makes too much coffee dust. Use a 'burr' type grinder, hand operated like the old fashioned wooden ones. Experiment to determine the correct coarseness. Sift the grinds to remove too-fine particles to avoid bitterness.THEN use a French press. As an alternative to a French press, get a vacuum type maker. Drip machines don't make the water hot enough and percolators continue rebrewing and boiling the coffee as long as you let it go.
PanHandler wrote:

How about a triple-beam balance? My level tablespoons weigh 6 grams, but I make 8-oz cups, so mine is 75% as strong as Jerry's and 50% stronger than yours.

My relatives use a grinder with a "propeller" blade. I haven't noticed any bitterness, but the blade could be generating dust that clogs the screen in the French press or ends up in the cup. Overall, I think the grounds may be too course. Anyway, a hand-cranked model would be cordless, and that would be convenient.

How do you know a drip machine doesn't get the water hot enough? Are they all the same? I suppose brewing 10 cups would get the grounds hotter than 5.

If the water isn't hot enough to begin with it doesn't matter - the grounds won't get as hot as they need to be.
I used a digital quick-read thermometer held in the output before the water hit the grounds in six different drip machines. The hottest tested was my Cuisinart at 194, and the lowest was a year-old Mr. Coffee machine at 188. The heated water in the upper chamber of my vacuum maker as soon as it was full was 207.