Breville BKC700XL (Keurig pod expresso machine) reset?

Someone just gave me one of these expresso machines. I can't figure out how to use it. The owners manual seems to just assume the machine works, that you prime it, press MENU to get it to show functions etc.
When I plug it in, all that happens is that the clock turns on. Nothing lights up, no buttons seem to do anything. I am a bit reluctant to put any water into it if this wont do anything but is that the problem? Or must I buy a dozen or two pods to ascertain that the unit doesnt work? (it doesn't have the reusable pod or holder but they seem to be cheap on e-bay)
There are reports on line of an on/off switch somewhere on it but I cant find it anywhere.
Is there a way to simply reset the unit to make it work? I understand it should light up when plugged in or isnt it intuitive that at least pressing the menu button should either do something or give an error message of some type? (eg put some water in it!!)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have a similar machine, the Nespresso. There are reusable pods that you can load yourself for it on Ebay too. I bought one and it's totally unusable. It lacks any decent seal, so part of the water just flows around the pod, instead of through it. It's really junk that you can't use. Don't know about what you will find for your unit.

I just pulled up the manual from Breville. In the beginning of the manual there is a diagram of the machine clearly showing a power switch. It's located on the right side, near the back, down near the bottom..... Kind of like where you'd expect it to be.

Breville is on my junk list. I have one of their electric kettles and it's OK, but has a big flaw that is obvious. It has a water level gauge on the outside of the kettle. But, it obviously not vented correctly or something, because when you fill it with water you don't know how much is in there unless you stop filling it and shake it side to side. Then the water level in the gauge rises.
I also have one of their cordless immersion blenders. THAT is a total piece of crap. Even from the beginning, it would stop while using it. The way the buttons work, I couldn't figure out if I had maybe let up on one of the buttons or if it stopped for some other reason. Within a year or so it was doing it all the time, to the point that you could put it in water and it would stop every 5 secs. I took a look at reviews on Amazon and what a total piece of junk. There were countless people all having exactly the same problem. I wound up taking it apart, tearing out their electronic control, rigging up a simple on/off push button, and putting it back together. It now works fine. So, clearly it was some safety feature in their electronics that shuts it off, probably because it thinks it's overloaded when it's not. Also, a lot of folks on amazon had been through trying to get satisfaction out of Breville and got nowhere.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Apologise for that everyone: I kept looking at the back where the manual says it is and couldn't see a switch: It is plain and obvious at a position where I couldn't see it (because of its positioning in my kitchen) on the SIDE. Once i took it out of the kitchen, I saw immediately and the unit sprang to life! (It seems to be missing the water filter & holding mechanism which apparently isnt needed unless you have lots of calcium in your water and the water tank has some sludge at the bottom which looks a bit difficult to clean)
I agree about the reviews: They are split between those who absolutely love it and say it works perfectly and those whose machine leaks and spews coffee and grounds all over the place and cant get any satisfaction out of Breville. It does seem reasonably clear that it wont produce a 24oz gigantic cup of espresso but as I have never had need of such a thing, it seems worthwhile trying for myself to see if it can produce a normal cup.
All I am saying is that I am glad I didn't pay anything for it but am prepared to pay under ten bucks to get a coffee holder and try it out!
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's interesting. At least some of the reviews are better than my Breville immersion blender. Overwhelming agreement in the reviews that it sucks big time.
If the B doesn't work right, the Nespresso machine which is similar is awesome....
 It does seem reasonably clear that it wont produce a 24oz gigantic cup of espresso but as I have never had need of such a thing, it seems worthwhile trying for myself to see if it can produce a normal cup.
I don't know of any machines like this that will produce more than the typical one shot or double shot which is just a couple of ounces.

I would at least start with the correct pods for it. As I pointed out, I tried one of the "refill your own pods" for the Nespresso on Ebay and it was totally unusable.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I also have a Nespresso LeCube which also doesnt work. Nespresso arent interested in assisting, even though there IS in fact a fuse in it, in fact the service manual says there are two fuses, neither of which I can find.
I assume they think that if the dont help, and I am addicted to their pods, I will have to buy a new machine. That is why they put curious oval headed screws on their machines for which no one has the screwdriver?
In any way, I was trying to get one of these machines to make coffee with ordinary coffee so that is the experiment I am trying as I am sick of spending huge amounts of money on pods. That was why someone gave me the Breville.
(And on balance more users seem satisfied with the refill-your-own on Keurig than Nespresso?)
I agree about the size of the coffee produced (by ANY normal machine) as i indicated.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Amanda,
The on switch is located at the lower right of the machine near the back according to the manual which may be found here: http://www.brevilleusa.com/media/mediaappearance/4535/BKC700XL.pdf
The web-site has a phone number that you may call for help.
Dave M.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:06:20 PM UTC-5, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote: Oh and one other thing: Unlike Nespresso, who dont seem to approve of anyon e buying their units and subsequently buying the pods independently (or usi ng the re-usable cofffee basket), Breville's customer service welcomes you with open arms as soon as they find that you are a user of their machine an d does everything to assist you to get it working properly.'
Yes, I HAVE seen the reports online of when they are extremely busy, they d ont come to the phone or call you back immediately. All I can say to those people (having dealt with Breville and found them extremely helpful) is Ge t A Speakerphone and quit complaining.
Add pictures here
βœ–