Breath-rite strips

Based on observation, I think there are a lot more product names that are misspelled than spelled correctly, so as to face fewer difficulties enforcing a trademark, iiuc. There are many many examples, such as all those products that use the syllable "rite". Just a guess: maybe this is less of a problem with a two-word name.

Reply to
mm

It's not just on the 'net. It's all over. Idiot reporters pollute their newspapers' spelling checkers with misspelled words that appear in print for time to come. Television shows -- even television networks like Nickelodeon -- misspell words chronically. (Nickelodeon likes to use the adjective "everyday" in place of the adverb phrase "every day", setting a wonderful example for their target audience of kids.)

Reply to
clifto

I hope when I am your age there will be pills to counteract the lunacy you live with.

Reply to
Clancy Wiggum

You haven't noticed what I describe? You dno't notice it now? You have to be kidding!

Reply to
mm

It's worse than that. I used to be an excellent speller, but reading Usenet postings has desensitized me to common errors like incorrect use of it's vs. its. So now I sometimes make the same errors in my writing and don't catch them because they no longer stand out like a sore thumb the way they used to.

Sadly, I also see newspapers and magazines with the same errors, as well as cases where someone clearly picked an entirely wrong word from the list that their spelling checker presented to them. Computers make lousy proofreaders because they don't understand what they're "reading".

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I know what you are saying. I've seen so many dopes use 'definately' that I have to think twice as I spell it correctly.

Seeing poor grammar and spelling in major publications is a very disturbing sign, and I have seen the source of it. A local high school teacher participates in several online chat rooms, and she can't construct a decent English sentence to save her life.

There is a shortage of teachers in our small town. They must have lowered their standards in order to attract some of the ones that they have. How many other teachers are there like that grammatically-challenged one? What chance do their students have?

I have seen the future, and it is stupid.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

One's a noun, the others a verb.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Oops. Breathe. An unusual word, one must admit. There may be one but offhand I can't think of another noun that becomes a verb by adding an 'e'.

Reply to
mm

If you think of the 'th' pair as a single letter, it makes perfect sense. The trailing E modifies the pronunciation of the preceding vowel sound, making it long. Mop, mope, cap, cape, breath, breathe.

Reply to
Goedjn

Bath, for one.

Reply to
willshak

True. However people do mix up which is which.

BTW, I checked

and found no definitions of "breath" as a verb. Where are all these coming from?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"...other's a verb." 8^)

Reply to