Breath-rite strips

Page 2 of 2

Ryan wrote:

It's not just on the 'net. It's all over. Idiot reporters pollute their newspapers' spelling checkers with misspelled words that appear in print for time to come. Television shows -- even television networks like Nickelodeon -- misspell words chronically. (Nickelodeon likes to use the adjective "everyday" in place of the adverb phrase "every day", setting a wonderful example for their target audience of kids.)
--
Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
That\'s why stereo has two channels.

It's worse than that. I used to be an excellent speller, but reading Usenet postings has desensitized me to common errors like incorrect use of it's vs. its. So now I sometimes make the same errors in my writing and don't catch them because they no longer stand out like a sore thumb the way they used to.
Sadly, I also see newspapers and magazines with the same errors, as well as cases where someone clearly picked an entirely wrong word from the list that their spelling checker presented to them. Computers make lousy proofreaders because they don't understand what they're "reading".
    Dave
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:06:28 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

I know what you are saying. I've seen so many dopes use 'definately' that I have to think twice as I spell it correctly.
Seeing poor grammar and spelling in major publications is a very disturbing sign, and I have seen the source of it. A local high school teacher participates in several online chat rooms, and she can't construct a decent English sentence to save her life.
There is a shortage of teachers in our small town. They must have lowered their standards in order to attract some of the ones that they have. How many other teachers are there like that grammatically-challenged one? What chance do their students have?
I have seen the future, and it is stupid.
Ryan

One's a noun, the others a verb.
Dave
On 24 Apr 2007 05:30:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

True. However people do mix up which is which.

BTW, I checked www.dictionary.com and found no definitions of "breath" as a verb. Where are all these coming from?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Apr 24, 7:30 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

"...other's a verb." 8^)
Jim E wrote:

See: http://www.breatheright.com /
--
Grandpa

I use them occasionally. I really don't think they'd stay on during exercise. Nor do I think they'd make much difference during exercise even if they did stay on.
You should buy a pack and see if they do any good before trying to replicate them.
--
Chris Lewis,

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:41:31 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Maybe that's why they don't mention them for that purpose!
Thanks for addressing the post!

Maybe not for you, but my nose really closes down a lot when I breath in. I would think they would help. I've thought of being resigned to breathing through my mouth, but I think I heard that was bad.

That makes sense, but I think I can't replicate them. Maybe not the breathe-rigth people but someone probably spent years, with a lab and lots of materials, to find the right glue. If I try them, like them, can't replicate them, and don't want to keep spending the money, I'll feel frustrated, annoyed, and poor. Maybe I should just stop running. Well, actually, I barely do anymore.

Oops. Breathe. An unusual word, one must admit. There may be one but offhand I can't think of another noun that becomes a verb by adding an 'e'.

If you think of the 'th' pair as a single letter, it makes perfect sense. The trailing E modifies the pronunciation of the preceding vowel sound, making it long. Mop, mope, cap, cape, breath, breathe.
mm wrote:

Bath, for one.

--

Bill