Breaking up concrete

He is down to a 3' x 2.5' slab, 2 more hours of chipping away with the little hammer or get 3 more guys and carry it out in one piece. Sure, backhoe and dump truck should work too.

It will work if you consider that a fun way to spend your day. I'd have gotten the jack hammer from the start. Or the back hoe
Dave Martindale wrote:

Forget the monolith. Get some landscape timbers or concrete blocks, build a perimeter, dump in some dirt, and plant flowers in your elevated bed.
On Apr 4, 2:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

Maybe not, but there's a picture of a guy doing just that in my dictionary under "ambition". -----
- gpsman
(Dave Martindale) wrote:

That brings to mind the movie Shawshank Redemption, given "ambition" and time, one could do wonders with even a tiny hammer.
When my Dad went to break up the deck behind the house. What worked for him:
Make a "door stop" shaped wedge, out of pressure treated. Use a big lever (pry bar) and a fulcrum to lift the end of the cement. Ram the wedge under. You need air space under the slab.
Pound on the top with a big sledge hammer. The cement will break in one point, and then you need to wedge a bit further down the slab.
Cement laying on the ground will never split. It has to be raised into the air, if only a fraction of an inch.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That would be efficient alright, particularly if I happened to have either the backhoe or the dump truck.
However, the concrete is in a restricted space that would make this tricky. The concrete I want to get rid of is in a flower bed that is located between the house foundation and the front sidewalk, and it needs to come out without damaging either the foundation or sidewalk. In addition, the house overhangs the flower bed by a few feet so there's no clear vertical space above the junk concrete. It might be difficult to get a backhoe bucket in there without touching the house.
Maybe a little Bobcat-sized backhoe would be OK, though I don't happen to have one of those either.
    Dave
Dave Martindale wrote:

Do you have a (really) long chain and a bumper?
snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) writes:

"Get a bigger hammer" turned out to be an excellent suggestion. I bought an 8 pound sledgehammer today. It took two blows to break the remaining concrete in half. Three more blows and it was in 5 pieces, all small enough to pick up easily. I was done in 5 minutes.
I sure wish I'd bought the larger hammer at the beginning of the project!
    Dave
Dave Martindale wrote:

So now, grasshopper, you understand why the term 'BFH' is used so often in this group. Don't need it often, but when you do, there really is no substitute.
-- aem sends...
The other essential time is removing wheel studs from your car or truck. The one time I couldn't get a wheel lug off, and drilled a bunch of metal off it to get it loose. Damaged the threads. I bought a replacement stud. Tried heat and a big C-clamp to get it out. No such luck. The BFH came out, and that popped the stud loose.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nothign beats a precision calibrated BFH when you need one.
Harry K
Calibrated in inch pounds, yard pounds, and sometimes foot pounds (ouch).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

As long as it isn't finger pounds on a cold day.
Harry K
Usually meant in jest. But this time, it was the real advice.
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:31:09 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

So,you have about 2 hours and 5 minutes into the removal :))
If you ever need a "Big Red Hammer" look at cutting torches. Not to be confused with a fireman's axe.
Oren wrote:

Big Red Hammer? We always called them smoke wrenches.
-- aem sends...