Breaking a soldered joint

The new high swirl "turbo torches" hre smaller than the old BernzoMatic torches but put out a LOT more useable heat. New on Propane is almost as good as the old on MAPP, but not quite.
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:19:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So now we have 3 variables.
Lead solder Non-lead Propane Mapp Old torch New torch
That's 8 combinations. I'm going to get a grant and write a thesis, ranking all 8 of them in order of ease and effectiveness.
Home owner -- pro plumber
You're up to 16 permutations, and looks like you need another couple huddred grand for your study.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're right. I'm changing my grant request now.
I'm glad you posted before Monday.
Call me if you need a sub contractor. We'll do lunch.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My MAPP torch is maybe close to 15 years old? It's similar to this but has another adjustable valve on top. http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/PROFESSIONALTORCHES/tabid/230/ctl/Detail/mid/1009/xmid/6937/xmfid/3/Default.aspx
During 'idle' time turning it down low will make the thing glow red, can't leave it like that so it really is a gas hog. Maybe someday I'll find a set of propane and mapp type trigger type torches on sale. I do like the short fat propane canisters, they don't fall over so easy. For years I've been buying my propane from the sports/camping center at walmart to get the short stubby canisters. When it's on sale the propane in the camping section is much cheaper than the hardware/tools section.

You misspelled "impossible"...

If the joint was properly soldered, the pipe will bend *long* before the joint will break.
On Feb 3, 9:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
amcop.net> wrote:

I think the biggest cause of joints like this is people holding the torch too close to the work. I guess its a little counter intuitive to the novice that this isnt the hotest part of the flame.
Jimmie