Breaker Shutting off

In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off.. I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.
Nothing else is going on in the house or added? Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what??? What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??
Thank ya
On 11/9/2009 6:53 PM Jack Valance spake thus:

How about--the microwave? You didn't say you ever experienced the breaker tripping when you use the microwave.
Could be a lot of other things, too. We need more information.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

Please don't post in HTML.
Thanks.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

The clock and microwave both are 'load' on the circuit that could have an issue that might cause the breaker to trip unexpectedly. I'd guess it is probably the micro, but the clock is probably the easiest thing to eliminate to see of the problem goes away. If it doesn't than it is likely the microwave (assuming you are correct that these are the only 2 devices on the circuit. Try unplugging it and see if the problem goes away. If it still exists it is either something else on the line, or the line itself.

Nobody has said what brand and how old the breaker is. I'd replace it FIRST.

I has been in the box for 14 years..

I doubt you can get FPE breakers any more. I've heard of aftermarket copies, but very expensive.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Nothing else is going on in the house or added? Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what??? What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??
*An overload. A loose connection. A problem in the microwave or clock. A bad circuit breaker.

Switch the circuit with another circuit by swapping wires at the breaker box. If the breaker is bad, it will go off on the new load, If the load is bad it will trip the different circuit breaker. Use logic!
Cutler Hammer and square D single pole breakers about five bucks at the store. Replace breaker, and see if the problem continues.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
John Grabowski wrote:

How does a "loose connection" cause a breaker to trip?
Only reason I could think of is if it's at the breaker's output terminal it might heat up enough under the microwave's load to influence a thermal breaker and make it trip.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

*A loose connection on the breaker terminal or on the buss connection will generate enough heat to trip the breaker.

John Grabowski wrote:

Thanks for confirming that my thinking was correct.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jack Valance wrote:

Perchance is it a GFCI breaker? If it is, maybe you've got some leakage to ground somewhere which is causing it to trip. Perhaps only when the weathe is very wet?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)