breaker box install question

OK, that's useful...

Of the three, only the first isn't clearly a silly thing; I'd think the first would/should be made more FAR more prominent than it is by the manufacturers although having more than the four connections for a single daisy-chain isn't all that common, one could certainly not have too much trouble in finding places where it would be useful.

I'm surprised it isn't published much more obviously than is -- although I guess on reflection that just says UL doesn't do the investigation routinely; doesn't say about any particular device so there's always the chance (however remote) they had the extra work done...not that one would expect it.

Reply to
dpb

Usually box fill would present a problem long before you filled up all the holes in a back wire receptacle.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 07/22/2016 3:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Only would need a third cable to have the six wires to exceed the two sets of screws and so use two back-entry locations...w/ a deep box that's easily within fill limits...likely even be ok on standard, tho didn't double-check; certainly common number w/ 3- and 4- way switches...

Reply to
dpb

Was going to add...I'm still amazed there's nothing in manufacturer's routine lit (or even any instruction sheets that I was able to find) that says word one about it if it isn't ok (which, given the UL words one at least has to wonder about as it would be extra cost to the manufacturer to get the added cert which you wouldn't think would be routine...)

Reply to
dpb

Spec:

bob_villain

On 07/22/2016 4:27 PM, bob_villain wrote: ...

Which as noted before doesn't mention any limitation of using any/all combination of connection points simultaneously...

Reply to
dpb

Even using #14, 6 conductors, plus one for the grounds and 2 for the device makes 18cu/in That is a big single gang box (3x2x3.5)and if you use #12 you are talking about 20.5 cu/in and that is bigger than any standard single gang box. The only one I can think of is the 3.5" masonry box. at 21 cu/in. A standard 2.5" depth box is not even big enough for 2 #12 cables unless you have the bump out on the side.

Reply to
gfretwell

The thing people keep missing is you can accommodate four 2 wire w/g cables in a standard back wired duplex receptacle without using the side screws. How many wires do you think you can stuff in a box?

Reply to
gfretwell

It doesn't say you can either. In fact it makes no mention of using the screws as terminals at all.

This is summed up well in the beginning of NFPA70 (the NEC) "90.1(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

Reply to
gfretwell

Each is capable of 4 Hot and 4 Neut. wires from the back...and I have only used double boxes even when one duplex was in it. For the shop stuff.

Reply to
bob_villain

Once you are in a 4" box, why not spend the extra couple bucks and put in the second receptacle?

Reply to
gfretwell

Nosy bugger aren't you...too many other connections made...I decided to put one in when I was only going to have a junction box. Ya happy?

Reply to
bob_villain

You must be new here ;-) The AHR way is to tell someone who asks about how to install a light in their shed that they need a 100 amp panel out there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Precisely.

In that case, why are they there? Decoration? It does say what wire sizes they're qualified for and that they match UL color code and proudly announces the "Terminal compartments isolated from each other for positive conductor containment" and spec's they're Tri-drive screws which pretty much indicates they're expected to be used.

Granted, but the manufacturer's datasheet isn't the Code, either...

Reply to
dpb

The screws are there to tighten the plate inside the device. There are 2 mounting screws there too and they are grounded but that des not mean you can hook a ground wire to them.

Tri Drive simply means they accept flat blade and Phillips screwdrivers along with #1 Robertson bits

Yes it is "110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

You still have not told me what sized box you would need to accept 4 cables. (the minimum you would need to use 3 on one terminal, even if you split the receptacle by breaking off the tab). If you leave it as a duplex, you can install 8 conductors plus the ground just using the available holes in the back. That is a count of

11 (22" for #14, 24.75" for #12)

Hey I really do not care. Do whatever you want. You are not in my patch. Maybe your inspector doesn't care. I was just pointing out the code.

OUT

Reply to
gfretwell

Not sure I'm understanding the whole question here. These receptacles have 2 screws on each side, joined by a jumper plate that is removeable (one time only) to convert to a split" There are 2 holes in the back of the receptacle at each screw for "back-clamp" wiring that can accept one copper conductor from #10 to #14 AWG. Those back-clamp conductors are clamped in place by pulling the clamping plate in, squeazing the wire between the clamping playe and the statiobary plate in the outlet.

Instead of arguing about whether it is legal to ALSO side-wire to the screw terminals directly just look at the way it is constructed. Code does NOT allow 2 wires under one screw BECAUSE the connection of each wire is dependent on the integrety of the other When one wire deforms from round over time it effects the pressure on the other wire, effectively loosening the connection. The back-clamp system is designed and approved for 2 wires on one screw using the clamp plate. Addind a wire under the screw head (if it is physivally possible to do so) changes the "engineering" of the connection, in basically yhe same wat 2 wires inder one screw affects the connection and is NOT allowed. I do not have the instructions that came with my outlet any more but I recall it said for use with the convenient back clamo which accomosates 2 wires per connection OR the "conventional" connection od a single wire under the screw.

I'm sure on mine if I had installed 2 #10 conductors in the back it wouls have been virtually impossible to get anything heavier than aboue a #18 under the screw head

Reply to
clare

I commend your logic, sir...are you available for a debate team?

Reply to
bob_villain

Ah, so! My bad; was thinking of the other push-in type with just the internal spring connector in which the screw terminals are independent. Just a "senior moment", I guess, sorry...

Referencing the Code doesn't make the referencing document the Code... :)

Yes, you're (obviously) supposed to install the device to Code, the question I had (as well as at least one other poster) was where the specifics of what had/had not been qualified was documented. But, as above, that was based on thinking about another device's configuration, not the specific device in question.

As for box sizes, I really don't know (and didn't go look up...just seemed like there'd be room for a third cable if one didn't need to have room for the pigtails -- but fill is something I'm certain I violate routinely as Code just seems _way_ overkill often from a practical standpoint of what one needs to put where. "If it fits, it's good" is pretty much my definition... :)

The farm here isn't in a regulated jurisdiction so don't actually have to worry about inspections...I've pretty much followed Dad's practices which have served since REA arrived with no problems ever observed of excessive heating or such in some 70 year or so now, so doesn't seem to have been _too_ non-conservative.

I just redid some wiring in the barn where I've begun rearranging for the woodshop installing a 3ph converter for the planer and removing a bunch of the old motor starters and so on from the feed mill no longer using to put its controls where they were. They were all installed in the late 50s/early 60s and still look as new as far as wire, etc., inside the controllers, etc, despite the accumulated grain dust and other inevitable detritus from such a location over that time...from which I draw comfort the basic rules followed are adequate albeit admittedly far closer to 60s/70s era Code than current; it's still

3-wire service, not 4, etc., and that's not going to change in my lifetime.

Again, I wasn't trying to argue, was actually trying to figure out a limitation reason on using the side terminal screws but as noted was operating under a wrong assumption which made the conclusion had drawn erroneous.

Reply to
dpb