breaker box cover

Page 1 of 2
I need a breaker box cover the will fit the existing box, but now that the wall has been finished the wall is about 1 -1.5" out in front of the box. Where can I find a box cover that will fit the box but the flange be in front of the wall ?
Thanks
Sid.
on 5/3/2008 2:32 PM sid said the following:

Make a small door that will attach to the finished wall. A piece of plywood, a latch, and a couple of hinges will do. The door is just to keep unwanted hands (of kids and uninformed people) out of the box.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You can't. You can install the existing cover and cover the opening with a picture or something. The panel should have been moved out prior the finishing the walls, and a flush cover ordered for the panel

Any electrical distributor can order you one from the manufacturer. You may need extra long mounting screws to compensate for the extra wall thickness.
Joe

Any electrical distributor can order you one from the manufacturer. You may need extra long mounting screws to compensate for the extra wall thickness.
Joe
So, the circuit breakers will be an inch and a half back from the panel cover!!

Joe, Thats what I thought, but I was not finding anything like that on my web searches. (I was sure I had seen them before, but did not remember where) The box is SquareD 40 breakers (pretty generic I think). Is there anyplace to order one online, or would the cost be unreasonable ?

Joe, Thats what I thought, but I was not finding anything like that on my web searches. (I was sure I had seen them before, but did not remember where) The box is SquareD 40 breakers (pretty generic I think). Is there anyplace to order one online, or would the cost be unreasonable ?
Some Square D covers can be purchased separately, however as RBM mentions the breakers will be too far back. Also you cannot have that much drywall exposed on the edges to the interior of the panel. Put the cover on set back in the wall. Check the panel label for the correct cover model number and contact a Square D distributor. The Square D web site has their complete catalog online, but it is a little confusing to find things.

When I search Square-Ds' E-Catalog for panel covers, I get 1004 hits. What term do they call a panel cover like this ?

When I search Square-Ds' E-Catalog for panel covers, I get 1004 hits. What term do they call a panel cover like this ?
Here's a link: http://www.squared.com/us/products/load_centers.nsf/unid/316B0C14F3A5014785256A1D0068B96D /$file/loadcentersFrameset.htm

Was the link broken or did I miss something ? All I saw was standard boxes. Nothing about speciality covers.

Was the link broken or did I miss something ? All I saw was standard boxes. Nothing about speciality covers.
FWIW, in over 35 years in the electrical business, I've never seen what you're looking for. Other manufacturers have covers with a self-adjusting spring loaded center panel that will adjust about 1/2", but all the "D" covers I've seen are fixed, and must be mounted metal to metal

If understanding the problem correctly we would go and see a handy sheet metal worker to have them make a special 'dished' cover of sufficient size to extend out over and around the protruding wall, but with the cut out aperture for the breakers set back by that one to 1.5 inches. Probably requires some careful measuring. Estimated cost probably $25???? Made to measure, eh?

BTW we have three square D panel in this house; but the two that are in finished walls are; a) Set in such a way that they are flush with the plasterboard. b) The circuit breakers if I recall correctly can be 'levelled' slightly to allow them to line up with the panel covers. Good luck.

BTW we have three square D panel in this house; but the two ath are in a finished wall are set a) In such a way that they are flush with the plasterboard. b) The circuit breakers if I recall correctly can be 'levelled' slightly to allow them to line up with the panel cover. Good luck.
To my knowledge no one makes custom breaker panel covers. It can even get very difficult to get covers for old panels.
RBM is a licensed electrician. He has already told you all of this. He suggested you get a factory cover back on the panel. You never indicated whether you have a surface mount cover or flush mount cover, that is a change that you may be able to do depending on age of panel.
Your choices would seem to be: 1. Move the existing panel forward the proper distance to work. 2. Install the lid you own correctly, and cover over the recesses lid with a picture or door.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Hmmm, Could enclose the whole panel in a nice wooden box quick with door access. I wonder why he needs cover? It'll be a hinderance when quick access to breaker is needed.

The NEC requires a cover, and requires it to be made of non combustible material, and listed for the purpose
RBM wrote:

Not to mention opening the "nice wooden box" door to expose the live innards of the box isn't really all that cool, Code or no Code... :(
Some things even ordinary common sense says are just silly... :)
dpb wrote:

Hmmm, I misunderstood. Was that the front cover to hide wires and breaker terminals? Wow! then of course. My apology. My idea was wooden box after metal front cover is on.

After reading through all the sage advice and implacable code requirements in this thread, seems to me serious remounting of this electrical service is in order. Given those parameters, I would remove a section of drywall sufficient to access the rear of the panel and install spacers behind it to permit mounting the regular flush cover. Most panels are only held in with four screws and sliding a 12" nominal 2 x 2 horizontally top and bottom behind the box should bring it perfectly flush to the drywall. There should be no problem with entering wire runs with this small movement. Including drywall repairs, it should only take two or three hours for the job for most competent handymen. HTH
Joe