Break away electrical cord?

I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own strain relief.
While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount (e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from repeated stress.

Some small appliances us a magnetic attachment. I don't think it would be very good for a vacuum cleaner though, too easily disconnected as you move around.

If you have a hot glue gun, you can use that to work hot glue into the plug and around the wires to make a safe repair.
On 11/26/2012 10:54 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I've also had good success with crazy glue, for gluing the outer insulation back to the molded on (now separated) plug.
We have the same problem at my church, people are rough on vac cleaner cords. You can buy a short extension cord, and put on the end of the vac cleaner cord. Maybe when you get to the end of the vac cleaner cord, the vac cleaner plug will pull out of the extension cord socket. If nothing else, you've got more cord to work with.
I need to replace the power plug on my ten year old vacuum because the cable jacket has pulled out of the plug, leaving the two wires acting as their own strain relief.
While I'm at it, I wonder if there is such thing as a break away power cord that cleanly separates itself when the tension reaches a certain amount (e.g. 1 pound). This would protect the plug and the wall outlet from repeated stress.

I had one of those. I bought some xmas lites at a garage sale. They are the old C7 large outdoor bulbs. I plugged it in the outlet, they worked fine. When I unplugged by grabbing the plug (not the wires). the hot prong from the cord remained in the outlet, and the wire came thru the molded part of the plug. That pissed me off, and I had to shut off the power to use plyers to remove the brass prong from the outlet. If it had been the one on the neutral side, I could have just pulled it out. Anyhow, a new plug fixed it.
On Monday, November 26, 2012 10:38:23 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:

Negative reinforcement to the operator of said vacuum cleaner would solve the problem, and you wouldn't need some nonexistent impractical device that only serves to enable someone's bad behavior:
"Dammit! Stop yanking the cord out of the wall with the vacuum! You broke it once already! Do you want to be electrocuted?"
For young kids, a swat on the rear helps reinforce that it is not acceptable to abuse the vacuum.
For the wife, a swat on the rear may be misinterpreted as foreplay. YMMV.