break away 120 vac electrical plug

Please don't attribute the "I like top posting" to me.

Pete did a lousy job of snipping and made it look as if I made that statement. In the post that Pete screwed up I responded to the "I like top posting" statement with an explanation as to why top posting sucks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Please don't attribute the "I like top posting" to me.

Pete did a lousy job of snipping and made it look as if I made that statement. In the post that Pete screwed up I responded to the "I like top posting" statement with a explanation as to why top posting sucks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Almost everyone reading the thread has been reading it from the beginning. So if you top post, BAM, the new stuff is there, right on top. If you're one of the few people who haven't been following it you can just page your way to the bottom and read you way back up. Why should the vast majority of the readers, who have been reading the thing since it started, have to page page page theit way to the bottom of 600 lines of old stuff to find the 3 new lines that were added. Just add the three new lines at the top and be done with it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You are right, IF people followed ALL the recommendation for "how to post". But they only want to follow the "post at the bottom part" as if it had some force of law, while quoting the 600 lines of stuff that's repeating over 8 times.

You'll notice I posted this at the bottom because it's all SHORT.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Not exactly. It was a recommendation that INCLUDED TRIMMING all the redundant crap. The recommendation was created back in the stone age when people were using 300 baud modems and the only thing being transmitted was monochrome text. If what was being done today, the quoting of the same stuff 5 and 10 times with 600 lines of material, NO ONE would read a bottom posted message because it would take 10 minutes to get to the bottom. Clearly the totality of the original recommendation ONLY worked when people TRIM the Quoted material. Well only 1 person in 100 TRIMS anything so what we wind up with is these HUGE redundant piles of words that you have to PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE your way thru only to find out that "That happened to me once except it was with a fish instead of an Edsel". If that comment had been made at the TOP a heck of a lot of EVERYONE's time could have been saved.

I would also add that I've been us>Bottom Posting has always been the Usenet Way. :-@

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Per DerbyDad03:

Mea Culpa.

My apologies.

And it drives me up the wall when people do that to me.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

He may be thinking of something similar to the type of connector used on the small, home-type fryers. They have a special female plug on the end of the power cord that connects to the unit. It fits very loose and if you just pull lightly on the cord, it disconnects. It's designed to keep you from tripping on the cord and having the hot oil dump on you. Why he would need that for outside, who knows...

Reply to
trader4

...snip....

To be honest, I can't recall the last time I responded to a written letter with a written letter, so I'll have to pass on that one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Since there were 2 more > signs between the line two lines up and the next line, and since no one here has been using a prefix of >>, I didn't atribute that line to you.

I didn't think his snipping job was that bad or that it made it look like you had made a statement you didn't. It was worth pointing out once that you didn't, but IMO not more than once or twice.

Reply to
micky

I agree it's pretty rare for personal but it's still done a lot in business and the new stuff always goes on TOP.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ok, you win.

An open request to the usenet community: Since a paper based communication system uses a "staple the new stuff on top of the old" methodology, usenet should now follow the same protocol. Please start top posting.

Ashton: I feel that it is my responsibility to sometimes allow others to take the lead in order to help them build their assertiveness skills. I will continue to bottom post and let others begin the groundswell of top posting that is sure to follow. Once the movement has taken hold, I will happily join in, knowing that the masses took the responsibility to change that which was so wrong.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Now I'm really confused!

After all you've said about snipping and top posting, why did you post two very short responses - without snipping anything - in the "fence issue with neighbor" thread?

One response is a single line at the bottom, with nothing snipped from the previous 2 posts. Isn't that the very issue you've been basing your argument against bottom posting on?

I quote: "Well only 1 person in 100 TRIMS anything so what we wind up with is these HUGE redundant piles of words that you have to PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE PAGE your way thru only to find out that "That happened to me once except it was with a fish instead of an Edsel". "

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Because I'm a product of my environment. Also note that there is no consistency as to whether I top post of bottom post. It's a mad mad world.

Ashton Crusher

Geez! It's been 30 years since Tears For Fears made the original video. Where has the time gone? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They are still so young and I've gotten 30 years older!!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I was out of college when I saw ELP in concert back in 1973, I think, or was it 1974? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas