Bread Machine recommendation. Want one NOT made in China.

Page 2 of 2
On 2/1/2012 12:06 PM, chaniarts wrote:

it depends upon the company. i'm a csr for a computer company, and yes, we can track hardware problems down that far.
not only that, but we know which other customers have it, and can (and have) proactively contacted them to arrange for a replacement part to be installed.
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:02:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I'm sure that varies by company. Some will care, others less so. On many of our products we have no traceability one it is removed from the package it is shipped in. Others, as required, can be traced to the shift, operator, raw material. Individual parts are marked.

I thought you were referring to product, not CSRs. Quality control goes well beyond what CSRs enter. Have you heard of ISO 9000? If it were impossible to control quality from foreign sources like China, companies like Boeing would have planes falling out of the air. IMO, US companies that are shipping crap Chinese product are doing it because they don't care and know perfectly well what they are getting and shipping.
On 2/2/2012 7:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The Chinese can make good stuff when they want to or are encouraged to by the company they're manufacturing for. ^_^
TDD

I suppose that's true but it still leaves us with the trade deficit problem.
US residents that buy Chinese products must really hate their children.
On 2/3/2012 4:36 AM, Juan Deere wrote:

Personally I love children, they're great with barbeque sauce and the toes are the crunchy part. As far as purchasing Chinese products, it's very difficult to find commodities that are not made in China. It seems to me that every time I buy screws, nuts, bolts or pipe fitting it has China stamped on the box or item itself. I've had to replace a lot of capacitors in air conditioning units and it's almost impossible to find a replacement part that's not made in China. I imagine that most of the manufacturers would rather be in the U.S. if not for over regulation by the government and the outrageous behavior of some labor unions that make production costs unbearable. Most of our manufacturers have been run off to China and other countries that are not hostile toward businesses. I remember when personal computers were manufactured in The United States, a desktop PC would cost around $5,000.00 and was state of the art at the time but nowhere near the value you can get today just about anywhere. O_o
TDD
On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 20:57:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas

...but will turn around and shaft you with crap if given a two second window in which to do it.
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:28:16 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

One of our customers provides us with a fabricated metal part consisting of some steel wire welded in a grid and a couple of thin steel strips and it is bent to a "U" shape. We use it in a product we mold for them.
They have two suppliers, one in Ohio, the other in China. One arrives perfectly stacked in crates on pallets and every part is identical and usable. The other arrives tacked on pallets falling over, bottom parts are bent and scrap and sometimes have to be slightly bent to fit right. Would you prefer to buy the cheaper and better?
We also buy some tooling from China. Quality is as good, delivery is half the time and half the price. I'd rather buy US products, but our customers will not pay the price.
Yes, some junk comes from China, but it is often the crappy designs the US management is sending over in search of bigger profits. Thinner metal, smaller bearings, you've seen it. Appliances have been downgraded for years , both here and abroad.

Yes, I agree. You can't just blame it on the foreign vendor, as if the US company has no control. The US company comes up with the spec for the product and should be able to measure the incoming product against it using standard quality control practices.

I understand that this Zojirushi unit is supposed to be the Top Choice in bread machines for home use.
Pricey, but supposed well worth it.
I was going to buy one, but my daughter bought me a Panasonic unit for my birthday and by the time I returned to the on-line vendor and paid the shipping and re-stocking fees, the overall out of pocket expense to end up with the Zojirushi unit would have been too much.
The feature I like the best is the fact that it makes "regular shaped" loaves, not the tall ones like most bread machines.
http://www.bestbreadmachinereviews.com/zojirushi-bb-cec20-home-bakery-supreme-breadmaker-review

I bought my wife one of the Zojirushi machines two years ago. This is her third one and is by far the best one she has ever had. I seems absolutely bulletproof in the two years that she has been using it. Look at Amazon and they get great reviews.

KingArthurflour.com also speaks highly of the Zojirushi and sells it. For me, with a household of me and my wife and visits by kids and grandkids occasionally, a $2-300 machine isn't cost-effective as long as my 30 year- old Welbilt still works.
--
Best regards
Han