Brass pipe

Where is brass pipe/tubing typically used? I've only seen it used in things like *beds* (frames).

Said another way, where might I find surplus/scrap brass tubing in assorted diameters/lengths (say 1-8' long, 1-4" dia)?

["New" it's outrageously priced]
Reply to
Don Y

Where is brass pipe/tubing typically used? I've only seen it used in things like *beds* (frames).

Said another way, where might I find surplus/scrap brass tubing in assorted diameters/lengths (say 1-8' long, 1-4" dia)?

Brass is very expansive and it is use where steel is corrosive and copper is too soft.

["New" it's outrageously priced]
Reply to
Tony944

lots of brass beds are steel pipe plated wth brass look

Reply to
bob haller

Firetrucks.

Reply to
notbob

It was used as electrical conduit for swimming pool lights until PVC came along.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's probably true of modern beds. Ours was brass with 4" dia posts (but steel rails). IIRC, it came out of a "house of ill repute" from the late 19th century in one of those mining towns in Colo.

Reply to
Don Y

It's also thermal expansive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Buy a bunch of trombones.

The slides are thinwall brass tubing.

They come in various ID - .500, .525, .547, .562 are the most common.

That's the inner slide. The outer slide is obviously a bit bigger.

Reply to
TimR

Some "solid brass" beds use steel pipe inside thin wall brass tubing.

Reply to
Wade Garrett