brass or copper on recepticals

Haven't all the outlets been self-grounding for decades, even the ones with paper keepers on the screws? I figured one should remove the paper to get a better ground (if the ground through the bottom of the screw head to the screw to the box isn't enough.)

You can only do that when the device is mounted tight to the box. If it is out there hanging on the drywall ears, the connection is not good enough to reliably operate the O/C device.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:13:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Good point. Of course that woudl be true whether the "keeper" is paper, plastic, or metal.

The clip bonds the screw to the device yoke and the threads bond it to the box ... or so they say.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 23:15:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I"ll pay attention next time i'm at th estore or in the wall.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:30:48 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

That is a sgety fround connection - grounds the receptacle body to the metal box (if you are using a metal box) making the bare or green ground wire redundant.

It ensures continuity for the grounding system when installed in a metal handy box.