BRASS LAMP REFINISH

We have a brass lamp that separates into 4 pieces and needs to be refinished. I believe there is a finish coat on it, like a lacquer to keep in from tarnishing. There are spots on the lamp that can only be removed with fine finishing sand paper. With lots of irregular areas I am wondering if you know of any way I may clean this lamp up to original brass finish ? Then most likely need to put another protective coat of material..just looking for some ideas here... many thanks jimmy

Reply to
jimmy

jimmy wrote the following:

can recoat it after polishing the brass, or leave the finish off and just polish it once a year or so.

Reply to
willshak

Assume it is solid brass, not plated. If plated, results usually not great. Use paint remover to remove the clear coat. Clean with Brasso, per label instructions and polish with clean, soft cloth. Very fine steel wool can be used with Brasso for deeper oxidation. Clean very well and don't handle with bare hands, spray with clear coat right away after cleaning.

Reply to
norminn

On 4/5/2010 10:17 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

Yes. Whatever you do, *don't* use sandpaper! That'll pretty much run the finish.

You may not need to use paint remover: you might try using lacquer thinner with rags, since lacquer dissolves pretty easily. A judgement call on your part. If you use the thinner, probably best to do it outdoors.

If there's oxidation or discoloration, I use vinegar on brass. It takes it right off. Just let it soak in full strength white vinegar for several hours. Then rinse it off and use Brasso, or your preferred metal polish.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

*fine* sandpaper is OK, if used sparingly. And by "fine," I mean 1000 grit or finer, used wet.

I agree that that should only be used if the tarnish is so bad that vinegar followed by machine polishing won't take it off.

I have some experience with this, having repolished some solid brass switch plates for my house (ones that were too unattractively tarnished to use "as is.")

Now, of course, I would *prefer* that they all have a nice even brown tarnish, but haven't been motivated enough to actually start experimenting on them to find the best way to do this.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I've always used "Liver-of-Sulphur" to put an antique finish on brass (and copper) stuff. Available in arts and crafts stores all over:

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia