Brass Kickplate

Page 1 of 2

How can I polish a badly tarnished brass kickplate for my front door? Chemicals haven't worked. Would a buffer help? The plate is solid brass, and I'd like to return as much of the shine as possible.
What do manufacturers use for a high-shine finish on solid brass?
Brasso, then several layers of thick, clear laquer coat?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:09:11 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

I've had a lot of success with plain ol' vinegar, flour and salt mixed into a paste. Lemon juice works in place of vinegar, too. Wipe it on, let it sit for a while, wash off with water and then polish with something like Brasso.
mcp6453 wrote:

Enlisted men.
Not@home wrote:

:)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

*Rouge and then a lacquer coat.
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 13:14:33 -0500, "John Grabowski"

Are you and Dan talking about the cosmetic " rouge"?
" talcum-based "
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 13:14:33 -0500, "John Grabowski"

Sounds like Sarah Palin's line of makeup.

Nope. Original credit goes here: http://tinyurl.com/ygdfe3s

Brass-O works pretty good. Do a tiny trial area. AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. If it is SOLID brass, you should be good to go. If coated, all bets are off.
Steve
mcp6453 wrote:

Use Brasso and the finest steel wool you can find. I read of that technique in researching piano repair and used it on the hinges for the lid on the keyboard. Finished with glossy clear finish will hide the abrasion pattern if there is one. Brasso alone does a nice job and is available at hardware and some grocery stores. The kick plate probably has a factory finish, so paint remover first is probably in order.

And I forgot to mention: don't touch the brass with bare hands after it is polished so's you don't leave fingerprints that will tarnish.
Take the plate off the door. Use lacquer thinner to soften and remove the existing remains of lacquer. Polish with rouge and wheel or Brasso. Reapply multiple coats of lacquer to keep your efforts shiny for a few years.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Jack Valance wrote:

If it's solid brass a good drill bit should cut through it like butter. Did you punch the center first?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

mcp6453 wrote:

You might have an easier time if you removed the plate and turned it over.
Perhaps the back side has less wear than the front?

Where do you find a polishing shop. Never seen them advertised in the Yellow Pages.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 17:42:24 -0800, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Right there next to the telephone sanitizers...