Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missing o-rings)

Page 3 of 4
Danny D. wrote:

Most people use trigger nozzles now.(water restrictions)
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:09:12 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

The wife used those trigger-style nozzles and hated them. Her main problem, she said, was they are difficult to set at a certain stream, and then just leave it there (she often walks away from the hose as it slowly waters plants).
So, we threw away all our trigger ones (even those very expensive sets from Costco which had quick connects - which turned out, for us, to be a waste of money).
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:36:50 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

This is the best garden hose nozzle ever made: http://www.sears.com/ray-padula-metal-pistol-hose-nozzle/p-043W028221300001P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7 http://www.kmart.com/ray-padula-metal-pistol-hose-nozzle/p-043W028221300001P
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Are you allowed to carry them concealed in California?
Is anything effective legal in CA? I doubt it. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Are you allowed to carry them concealed in California?
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:28:31 -0700, Oren wrote:

By the way, I went to ACE today and picked up "their" rendition of the almost 100% brass garden hose shutoff valve:

Like the Home Depot garden hose valve, it had a black material where you'd rather have brass; but, for the extra dollar, it had a "two finger" shutoff valve, instead of the one-finger shut off valve of the Home Depot variety.
Presumably you can apply more force to this shutoff valve when it starts to get sticky ...
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle, at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than did the Chinese knockoff.
Just saying ...
On 6/25/2013 11:59 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Yea, but you can arm more people cheaply. If you have 1,000 folks armed with the high quality assault nozzles going up against 100,000,000 people armed with cheap low quality assault nozzles, it's no contest. The Germans learned this hard lesson in tank battles during WWII. ^_^
TDD
But, can the cheap Chinese nozzles put water on target? Doesn't do any good if their streams are breaking up at 20 yards, and the Ace nozzles can spray to 30 yards. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Thanks for the field test. I guess the chinky junky does make a (not good) difference. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:57:34 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

BTW, I just compared the two all-brass assault nozzles, side by side:

Clearly the double-action o-ring American-made ACE assault nozzle, at more than twice the price of the cheap Harbor Freight single-o-ring model, provided better aiming, and a more steady stream of fire than did the Chinese knockoff.
Just saying ...
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:36:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was surprised that the Harbor Freight Chinese nozzle, which effectively *looked* essentially the same as the American model, actually performed far worse at higher speeds - and about the same at the lower, less demanding, speeds.
a. They leaked when shut off (2 out of 7, versus 0 out of 3 for the American) b. They had a less satisfying spray at full force (the American just felt good) c. They only used a single o-ring (the American nozzle used two o-rings) d. The knurling was only parallel (the American knurling was diamond shaped) e. They had noticeably less heft (the American nozzle just felt good)
However, at low speeds (i.e., wide spray), which is what my wife uses them mostly for, the nozzles were about the same.
All in all - I don't recommend the Harbor Freight nozzles.
BTW, how often do you guys generally replace your nozzle o-rings anyway?
I'll admit, I can't remember ever replacing an O'Ring on my garden hose nozzle. I did mention in passing that a dose of silicone plumbers grease on the O'Ring and the threads may help the nozzles last longer. Havn't done that either. I'm not a power user like yourself. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I was surprised that the Harbor Freight Chinese nozzle, which effectively *looked* essentially the same as the American model, actually performed far worse at higher speeds - and about the same at the lower, less demanding, speeds.
a. They leaked when shut off (2 out of 7, versus 0 out of 3 for the American) b. They had a less satisfying spray at full force (the American just felt good) c. They only used a single o-ring (the American nozzle used two o-rings) d. The knurling was only parallel (the American knurling was diamond shaped) e. They had noticeably less heft (the American nozzle just felt good)
However, at low speeds (i.e., wide spray), which is what my wife uses them mostly for, the nozzles were about the same.
All in all - I don't recommend the Harbor Freight nozzles.
BTW, how often do you guys generally replace your nozzle o-rings anyway?

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Well, that's good for a smile. Yes. I guess, if I'm watering the plants gently, I'm a misty Christy?
And, if I'm a distance from home, I'm the far flung Young? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

I guess that makes you the cracker Christian(?) then.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:44:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hmmm... it looks nice ... but ... at $13.69, it's a bit pricey considering I bought these half-and-half brass ball valves at Home Depot today for $6.00 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-3-4-in-Threaded-Brass-Shut-Off-Coupling-27933/100659291
Of course, yours is all brass, and mine is half plastic (or whatever that black stuff is) ... but still ... yours is twice the price:

QUESTION: What is that black stuff. Is it rubber? It feels hard but its also a bit soft.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:12:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Speaking of breaking, I just ran a survey of the years' old garden hoses that are in use sprinkled around the yard, and realized there is a commonality around color ...
These 2 red rubber garden hoses seem to be holding up the best:

These 2 black hoses hold up well (except they make your hands black):

These 4 Costco 100' gray hoses hold up well - but kink too easily so I chopped them down to 50' each:

And, these 3 green garden hoses hold up the worst of all:

In summary, the red rubber holds up the best; the black rubber is the most pliable and easy to work in 100' lengths - but they grease up my hands, especially when wet. The Costco gray hoses are a pain to coil up as they're far too stiff; and the green garden variety hoses are used for only the lightest jobs and shortest lengths.
Dollar Tree has pistol grip style nozzles, seem to work OK for me. I used one yesterday, the roof of two trailers to clean out the AC condensors.
The one you link, looks rugged enough. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened) L0DFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid71899351&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+ hose+nozzel
http://tinyurl.com/mgtd33a
TDD
I wonder if use of silicone plumbers grease or marine grease would make the nozzles last longer? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-brass-garden-hose-nozzle-31811.html
Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up:

I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass nozzles:

So, given I have a lot of garden hoses, I bought a half dozen at HF:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off. :(
With my 80 psi of pressure, and hard daily use, I've had bad luck with a variety of the cheap hose nozzles:

When I look inside, I find the single o-ring ones seem to fail the most (I have to source those o-rings):

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:21:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not sure what makes a solid brass nozzle go bad.
I suspect about the only thing that *can* go bad are the 2 o-rings.
I guess crud buildup also - but that can be cleaned out with vinegar.
They need love, discipline, and a strong man to teach them right and wrong.
Bring them in by 9 PM or so, and no violent video games.
That said, maybe the silicone plumbers grease will help? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .