Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missing o-rings)

Page 2 of 4

I forget where I bought my dual valve on off. It's ball valve. Second year at the trailer. I didn't want plastic. Been using my brass nozzle for many years, no problem. I might have bought the valve at sears, kmart, walmart, online. Don't go cheap. My nozzle is not plated.
Greg
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 02:26:46 +0000, gregz wrote:

UPDATE: Picked up some mostly-brass ball valves at Home Depot this morning.
The plumbing ones were *super hard* to turn!
So I went back to the lawn & garden department.
All they had there, other than pure plastic, was this $6 plastic & brass ball valve:

I bought a couple to test out on the rubber assault hose:

PS: Under California law, am I required to engrave the assault hose serial number #0000001 on the nozzle or on the valve?
In cars, 1 can be the governor's limo. Might need a different number? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I bought a couple to test out on the rubber assault hose:

PS: Under California law, am I required to engrave the assault hose serial number #0000001 on the nozzle or on the valve?
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:14:19 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Hmmm... I'll go back and doublecheck.
Thanks.
On 6/22/2013 12:37 AM, Danny D. wrote:

This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)71899351&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+hose+nozzel
http://tinyurl.com/mgtd33a
TDD

(Amazon.com product link shortened)71899351&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+hose+nozzel

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel. It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for 10 trouble free years. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7
TDD
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:20:59 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I only get about a year from all the plastic ones; either the sun destroys them outright, or the dropping onto hard services breaks the handles and bodies, or they simply crud up from the inside out:

I've got yellow switches, black switches, and green switches; the green seem to last the longest for some reason (maybe two years at most):

Perhaps you mean shut off valve?
Switches are for electricty. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I only get about a year from all the plastic ones; either the sun destroys them outright, or the dropping onto hard services breaks the handles and bodies, or they simply crud up from the inside out:

I've got yellow switches, black switches, and green switches; the green seem to last the longest for some reason (maybe two years at most):

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

It's always a good idea to read the detractors. In the case of this nozzle, there seems to be quite a few and all for the same reason. I'll be looking elsewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/kt3ggzq
nb
On 6/22/2013 9:28 AM, notbob wrote:

The one I've had for 10 years must be metal then, I bought it at an industrial supply house. Perhaps the stainless nozzle from Amazon is plastic inside when mine is not. I believe I wrote that I have one of the type. Darn it, the cheap copies just have to show up on the market. o_O
TDD
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:01:06 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

You'd think that a 100% brass nozzle, whether cheap copy or not, would have to be the same thing.
But, look at this $7 brand new Ace Hardware brass nozzle and my $3 brand new Harbor Freight brass nozzle side by side:

From the outside, they look (essentially) the same.
But, from all other angles (inside, input & output), they are functionally different.
Sounds like you got your use out of it. I like it when good value tools last for a long time. One toy I got was rolls flat canvas garden hose, came with a reel. Ace hardware, had to special order it from the factory. But, it stores in small space in the work van, and handles water just fine. Much easier to move around, compared to HF brand heavy duty hose. I hooked the heavy duty hose to the frost free hydrant, and ran the canvas to the roof. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel. It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for 10 trouble free years. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened) E7YYDS/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2
http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7
TDD
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:12:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Wow. That's a heavy duty garden hose nozzle!

I wonder if your company can pay for a dozen for me! :)
On 6/22/2013 9:07 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I've had the stainless version for years and the rubber cover protects it and any surface it might fall on. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:11:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

If the stainless is less cost than the aluminum, it might be worth it. Currently, I'm paying about $7 (for the Ace hardware nozzles) plus whatever that lousy plastic switch costs (probably 4 bucks).
I have these on at least a dozen hoses.
The reason for the nozzle is obvious; but the reason for the plastic switch is because the wife likes to regulate the flow better, especially in the low flow way for her plants.
If I went with the $7 Ace nozzles + the $6 Amazon brass switch, that would be roughly $15 per hose (incl tax or shipping) or about $150 for the set.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:37:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, I do agree, that's the way to go.
The key problem with those brass ball valves is that that little knob is really hard to turn, especially with 80 psi behind it.
I wonder why they don't make the knob just a bit longer?
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:44:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

Thanks for sourcing that brass ball valve.
I'll pick one up and try it out.
At $13 each, I'd hate to get a dozen, to find that the knob is hard to turn.
The last one I had hurt my fingers, IIRC, but it has been a long time (years) since I've been able to find them in the box stores locally.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:49:40 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I've got those small lever type valves on a splitter at my front hose bib. Bought it to attach 2 hoses, but never used the second hose. I know the levers moved freely when new, but after a couple years they're basically frozen and useless without using a tool to turn them. Probably doesn't take much scale buildup to provide more resistance to the very small leverage your fingers can overcome. I would avoid them altogether on that basis alone. Their only advantage is small size, but that means little if you need to carry a tool to operate them. Haven't read the entire thread, but just use decent nozzles at the spray end, and full size valves at the source end. I'll probably put full lever ball valves on my when I replace my bonnet-type globe valve bibs, if ever. I repacked and rewashered them about ten years ago, and they still operate fine. They're 55 years old. But it's a minor hassle finding the right size packing, so it's probably a win just screwing on a new ball valve now that they're cost has come down.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:02:13 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Yup. I had them years ago, and that's what I remember too. The plastic ones, for some reason, move more freely (dunny why). But, of course, the plastic ones rot in the sun also.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:44:55 -0700, Oren wrote:

Regarding sourcing the 4" brass nozzles and brass valves ...
Q: Does anyone know of a better 4-inch brass hose nozzle or a better price?

Here's my quick nozzle summary, for others to benefit from, of the three types I bought from local box stores and tested this week:
ACE Hardware: $6.49 http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 72754&KPID8617&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID5559371 BEST: Always shuts off, easily taken apart for cleaning, has 2 o-rings, knurled knobs are easy to spin off, even when wet.
Home Depot: $7.67 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-in-Adjustable-Brass-Nozzle-27928/100659304 GOOD: Always shuts off, I can't seem to get it apart, has rubber knobs which are slippery when wet and which get damaged easily when using wrenches to undo tight connections.
Harbor Freight: $3 (regularly $5): http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-brass-garden-hose-nozzle-31811.html CRAPPY: Often leaks when shut off, only one o-ring, easily comes apart, knurling on the knobs is not cross hatched so it's hard to unscrew from the garden hose when wet, the gasket fits way too loosely so it can be easily lost, spray is not a clean stream at the strongest settings - but otherwise OK.
Of these three, I recommend the ACE Hardware 4 inch brass nozzle. If you know of a better nozzle, or, of a better price, let me know.