Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missing o-rings)

Page 1 of 4
Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-brass-garden-hose-nozzle-31811.html
Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up:

I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass nozzles:

So, given I have a lot of garden hoses, I bought a half dozen at HF:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off. :(
With my 80 psi of pressure, and hard daily use, I've had bad luck with a variety of the cheap hose nozzles:

When I look inside, I find the single o-ring ones seem to fail the most (I have to source those o-rings):

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:37:55 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?
All mine are plastic - but almost all break within the first year:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:53:17 -0700, Bob F wrote:

That's a WONDERFUL idea!
I had not thought of using standard pipe-threaded valves, which should be sturdier than these things, which always break on me:

Is this sort of what you envision?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/images/products/detail/TrueUnionBallValve.jpg
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:01:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Interesting observation.
I like knowing what I'm looking for.
Thanks for the advice.
Naah, that's not a switch. It's a valve. Can't turn electric on and off with a valve. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:53:17 -0700, Bob F wrote:

That's a WONDERFUL idea!
I had not thought of using standard pipe-threaded valves, which should be sturdier than these things, which always break on me:

Is this sort of what you envision? http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/images/products/detail/TrueUnionBallValve . jpg
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:23:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ah. Thanks. I'll call it a valve moving forward. Much appreciated!
On 6/22/2013 1:03 AM, Danny D. wrote:

If you really want to build your own bullet proof, corrosion proof hose end valve and nozzle, you can start of with a stainless 3/4" ball valve and a 6" nipple on each end so you have something to hold onto and adapt to anything you want. I've had to do similar things in the past and cobble together things that don't break. All it takes is a little money, a little ingenuity and however much time you wish to put into your project. I've built things I could purchase but I enjoy building things and adding my own touches. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/kvz44kv
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/kmhyeqs
TDD
The 3/4 will have much better full flow. The plastic slip on the handle will decompose in the sunlight.
I like the idea of using a nipple on either end. Danny can, if he wishes, make a drip leg like a furnace gas line, and make a "pistol grip" for more comfortable operation. That pistol grip will probably make it regulated by Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, and subject to the various regulations. Combine that with a flash hider, folding stock, and a high capacity garden hose with high pressure. Then, he's got an assault garden hose, not legal in CA or NY.
Danny has already got source of thread adaptors from pipe thread to garden hose thread. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
If you really want to build your own bullet proof, corrosion proof hose end valve and nozzle, you can start of with a stainless 3/4" ball valve and a 6" nipple on each end so you have something to hold onto and adapt to anything you want. I've had to do similar things in the past and cobble together things that don't break. All it takes is a little money,
a little ingenuity and however much time you wish to put into your project. I've built things I could purchase but I enjoy building things and adding my own touches. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/kvz44kv
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/kmhyeqs
TDD
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:18:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

With 80psi, I'm well on my way to assault-hose status!

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 12:07:01 -0700, Oren wrote:

Thanks. I snapped it this morning, just for you guys, aimed at the sun, in the cloudy sky, for the effect of an explosion on the end of the stream of water (in response to Stormin's comments about the assault hose).
In the process, I found this wiki'd leak:

I wonder what causes these strange leaks, all at one 2-foot long spot, and all at the lettering on the sidewall of the Costco garden hose?

Do you think the NSA could be tapping my garden hoses?
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 12:48:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

I think the leaks in the hose, which are *exactly* similar to the leaks in the pool panels, are due to water collecting and then expanding in the winter.
Somehow, they expand, just enough, to cause a stress crack where the writing is.
Of course, that tells me two things: a) Don't buy hoses with writing b) Don't let the water collect in the hoses & solar panels
In the case of solar, it's difficult because they are fifteen or more feet below the level of the pool, so they'd have to be disconnected, but there is no convenient disconnect (just shut-off valves, which may be leaking for all I know).
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 14:05:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
The pool plumbing is wholly separate from the water supply so the pressure at the solar panels would be whatever the pumps generate (plus whatever "head" is generated by the fact the pumps are 8 feet below the pool while the panels are 15 feet below the pool).
I don't think it's UV weathering only because of my 13 garden hoses, at least 4 are the Costco Flexon gray "commercial grade" 100' 5/8" hoses, and the rest are holding up well (although not as well as the red and black rubber hoses - but much better than the green hoses).
I guess, since it's Costco, I 'could' return it for the warranty; but I think I'll just buy brass male:female hose ends and cut out the leaking part.
I went to Home Depot this morning, but unfortunately, they only had the crummy $3.50 brass + male:female hose clamp assemblies (for a total of $7 for just the crappy fittings), which are horrid on the hands (with that hose-clamp screw sticking out).
The only other male:female hose repair ends they had were the $2.00 cheap all-plastic ones (which wouldn't last a year). So, I'll have to hit up Ace Hardware instead.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:46:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

I might just do that as I found a new Sears nearby me. If I return my holy hose to Costco, that's (ummm... I don't remember), about $25 toward the purchase of that better Craftsman all-rubber hose!
Only my next rubber hose isn't going to have any stamped-in lettering on the outside!
And, I don't know if I'm gonna go black because my two black rubber hoses stain my hands when wet (no big deal, but still), while the two 3/4" red rubber hoses don't.
ALL my hoses though (except the cruddy green ones) are NOT those thin stamped steel threads (I only go for the machined threads).
Thanks for the pointer! I just went to Sears this week to return a broken tape measure (and diagonal cutters and a screwdriver):
Guess what they gave me? (Hint: It wasn't a Craftsman tape measure!)

On 6/23/2013 1:59 PM, Danny D. wrote:

A customer of mine owned a gas station/convenience store and he was having a problem with washers in the kitchen sinks and other sinks being blown out. The Sloan flush valves on the restroom fixtures were malfunctioning and leaking. I checked the water pressure and it was averaging 90psi with pressure spikes of 130psi. I searched around the building and found a 1" water pressure regulator in a wall in the kitchen. It wasn't working of course so I replaced it and all the plumbing fixtures lived happily ever after at 50psi. The fun part was the fact that the outdoor spigot wasn't controlled by the water pressure regulator, in fact it was tied into the water line before it entered the building. An average of 90psi from the outdoor hose spigot required a heavy duty hose and nozzle that would allow the cleanup man to blast debris right off the parking lot and you could shoot a stream of water across the wide city street and almost blow a window out of a car or give a bath to an urban camper 50 feet away. ^_^
TDD

In old house we had a full pressure outlet off garage. It came in handy. In this house, I never tried it, but you can switch valves so water comes from hot water tank. I would be afraid to try it.
Greg
I could get used to a 90 PSI water hose. Great for washing salt off the underside of vehicles. Glad you were able to save all the faucets and water valves. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:52:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi Christopher,
I agree. It's nice to have the pressure.
Hell, I can even shoot birds out of the trees with this thing!

PS: I may need to engrave the serial number on the nozzle in order to be legal in California ...
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:40:28 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

This is the only avenue I know (Amazon) as I can't find all-brass valves at the local box stores (and even these are only half brass):

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:02:51 -0700, Bob F wrote:

I didn't find them in the plumbing section of Ace Hardware today, but, in anticipation of plumbing pipe threads - I picked up male & female brass NPT to Garden-Hose adapters today:

Plates, but no switches.
http://hi.atgimg.com/img/x/295/4751.030.jpg