Brass Door Handle

Page 1 of 2

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave. It always gets tarnished.
Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish? If so, what kind is it?
Many thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in salt air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer or varnish.
On 5/31/2010 12:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

I just used Brasso on it. It is somewhat shiny again, but apparently I rubbed an area too hard and I have a shiny area that almost looks silver underneath.
Is this what you are talking about?
Do I need to rub all of it so that the top coat is removed, and then recoat it?
Thanks.

Can you find a magnet? See if the magnet will stick to the handle. If it does, then the handle is actually steel with brass-plating on it. Even a fridge magnet will work for checking this.
The plating is usually pretty thin and will wear off quickly once the lacquer/varnish/urethane is gone.

Yes. Provided either 1) the plating is thick enough to survive the cleaning, or 2) the handle really is solid-brass, both of which I'm doubting just now.
--
Tegger

On 5/31/2010 4:32 PM, Tegger wrote:

The magnet will not stick to it, at all.
Tegger wrote:

Unless the base metal isn't steel. Pot metal (zinc) maybe.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Kate wrote:

No. What you have is a steel door handle that's been plated with nickel then brass plated over that.
Skeptical?
Hold a magnet against the handle. Brass is non-magnetic (that's why compasses and stuff are made of brass).
On 5/31/2010 4:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:

The magnet won't stick to it.
Kate wrote:

Ah, okay. It's aluminum (plated with nickle then plated with brass). Or wood.
Kate wrote:

Whoops. It would appear you have brass *PLATED* hardware, not solid brass.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 5/31/2010 3:12 PM, Kate wrote:

Brass tarnishes. The reason you see shiny brass handles on doors is because someone maintains them.
Maintaining polished brass outside is a continuous maintenance job. You will periodically need to strip the clear coat and polish the brass with rouge and a wheel and then give it a clear coat.

Unless, of course, you get Balwin Brass.
When I purchased a new home ten years ago, I replaced all the outdoor lights and front door hardware with Baldwin Brass 003 Lifetime Polished Brass Finish. It's just as shiny now as the day I installed it. About every three years or so, I wash off the dust with a glass cleaner and water, and then hand dry. The finish is always shiny gold. No polishing necessary.
The 003 finish does not use a lacquer like most brass fixtures. Instead, the brass is nickel plated and then the final finish is applied in a plasma chamber for a molecular bond. Each lighting fixture was about $300 and the pair of front door hardware was about $500. Not cheap, but they will look brand new for decades, and no polishing needed.
Best, Christopher

Oops, that's Baldwin Brass.
On 5/31/2010 5:35 PM, Christopher Glaeser wrote:

This is good to know. Thank you!

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.
Like that was helpful...contact the company...The question was "Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?

On 5/31/2010 6:26 PM, Jimi wrote:

Thank you Jim, for your reply.
I would love to own a doorknob that does not tarnish, so this gives me something to go on.
I do have a brass door kick plate, and it has been like new since I purchased it six years ago.
Kate wrote:

Easy...
1. Buy a door knob/handle.
2. Take it to a plating shop and have it gold plated. Shouldn't cost all that much, the amount of gold used in electro-plating is miniscule.
--

dadiOH

What other companies besides Baldwin Brass have a non-lacquer lifetime finish?
Best, Christopher

And the tag say guarnted not to tarnish, so learn to read.