Brass Door Handle

I have a brass door handle. The package insert said it would not tarnish. I have had it four years, and it is underneath an eave. It always gets tarnished.

Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish? If so, what kind is it?

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Only reason they will not tarnish is because they are coated with lacquer. When lacquer wears off, tarnish appears (more quickly in salt air). Can remove the lacquer, polish, recoat with clear lacquer or varnish.

Reply to
norminn

I just used Brasso on it. It is somewhat shiny again, but apparently I rubbed an area too hard and I have a shiny area that almost looks silver underneath.

Is this what you are talking about?

Do I need to rub all of it so that the top coat is removed, and then recoat it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Brass tarnishes. The reason you see shiny brass handles on doors is because someone maintains them.

Maintaining polished brass outside is a continuous maintenance job. You will periodically need to strip the clear coat and polish the brass with rouge and a wheel and then give it a clear coat.

Reply to
George

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.

Reply to
ransley

Kate wrote in news:hu1cu1$jcn$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Can you find a magnet? See if the magnet will stick to the handle. If it does, then the handle is actually steel with brass-plating on it. Even a fridge magnet will work for checking this.

The plating is usually pretty thin and will wear off quickly once the lacquer/varnish/urethane is gone.

Yes. Provided either 1) the plating is thick enough to survive the cleaning, or 2) the handle really is solid-brass, both of which I'm doubting just now.

Reply to
Tegger

No. What you have is a steel door handle that's been plated with nickel then brass plated over that.

Skeptical?

Hold a magnet against the handle. Brass is non-magnetic (that's why compasses and stuff are made of brass).

Reply to
HeyBub

Baldwin. Other than not tarnishing I don't care for it. We bought it 25 years ago because it would unlatch a deadbolt with the inside lever. The outside is a thumb-latch & though I liked it fine 20 years ago- now my thumb is weaker & I'd prefer an outside lever.

IIRC it was about $200-- but it was the only one with that perceived 'safety feature' - so momma liked it & I installed it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Unless, of course, you get Balwin Brass.

When I purchased a new home ten years ago, I replaced all the outdoor lights and front door hardware with Baldwin Brass 003 Lifetime Polished Brass Finish. It's just as shiny now as the day I installed it. About every three years or so, I wash off the dust with a glass cleaner and water, and then hand dry. The finish is always shiny gold. No polishing necessary.

The 003 finish does not use a lacquer like most brass fixtures. Instead, the brass is nickel plated and then the final finish is applied in a plasma chamber for a molecular bond. Each lighting fixture was about $300 and the pair of front door hardware was about $500. Not cheap, but they will look brand new for decades, and no polishing needed.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Oops, that's Baldwin Brass.

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Contact the co that made it, if its the process that treats brass at the molecular level it shouldnt tarnish, ask them to send you a new one and they should give you 30 days for your unit to be returned.

Like that was helpful...contact the company...The question was "Has anyone bought a nice fancy brass door handle that does not tarnish?

Reply to
Jimi

The magnet will not stick to it, at all.

Reply to
Kate

The magnet won't stick to it.

Reply to
Kate

This is good to know. Thank you!

Reply to
Kate

Excellent idea. Now I have to search for the paper work, and I am sure I have it. Thank you!

Reply to
Kate

Thank you Jim, for your reply.

I would love to own a doorknob that does not tarnish, so this gives me something to go on.

I do have a brass door kick plate, and it has been like new since I purchased it six years ago.

Reply to
Kate

Mine is a thumb latch too. Not a problem for me as I usually come in through the inside garage door when parking my car.

I am getting some great tips from everyone and I appreciate it.

Thanks Jim.

Reply to
Kate

What other companies besides Baldwin Brass have a non-lacquer lifetime finish?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

And the tag say guarnted not to tarnish, so learn to read.

Reply to
ransley

.

Are you the Kate that had a bunch of questions about a month ago? If so, what did you end up doing?

Reply to
hrhofmann