brands of toilets to avoid

Thinking about a new toilet, Anybody know any certain brand or model # to avoid. Looking at a Toto but don't know anybody with first hand experience. Live in Nashville Tn.
thanks
Mike Lane
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:45:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote:

I'm happy with my Toto; plan to add another when the existing one craps out. You can compare Totos here: http://www.needplumbingsupplies.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2&Brand=Toto&Configuration=All&Bowl+Shape=All&Rough+In=All&id $&NpsFilterRqst=Yes&FilterBtn=Find+It
You may find something here:
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml
Look for one with a fully glazed trap, bigger than 2" Toto's "Drake" fills the bill, and seems well thought of. There are good ones in other brands
And no, I have nothing to do with Toto, other than being a satisfied user.
On Sep 16, 8:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote:

If you're looking at a Toto there's nothing to avoid. Nice toilets, work well. Check eBay for prices then call the company - I've had them quote lower prices over the phone.
Gerber makes nice toilets but I would only buy an extended height version. Their water level is very high in the normal height version. Consumer Reports recommends buying taller toilets anyway though I wonder if that is a problem in a house with young children.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote in 3137.bay.webtv.net:

Toto may be swooped up in a Tornado and take to OZ.

Mike,
Consumer's Report did a pretty comprehensive review and comparison of toilets in the last year or two, and Toto was highly rated. You might check with the local library or the CU website to see if you can get this comparison. It will also tell you which brands to avoid.
Smarty

Stay away from the "Plebe" model. I forget who makes it, but they are the cheap kind that are put in by builders. They clog easily.

I installed a Toto Ultimate (one piece) toilet in July, and I couldn't be happier with it. I got a great deal online, from Home Click, which was recommended by another poster. It was $200 cheaper than my only local dealer's price, and delivery was free! I still can't believe that a low-flow toilet can work so much better than my old high-flow. And no, I don't work for the company, I'm just a very satisfied homeowner.
I recently installed a Kohler and an American Standard. The former clogs much more than the latter. Kohler's are easier to install, but they don't seem to work as well.
Michael Lane wrote:

I have 2 Toto's. They work great. One, a Gmax model, which has 3 inch flap gives better flush than other one with 2 inch flap.
Frank
Michael Lane wrote:

I strongly suggest you avoid the various self appointed expert web sites or annecdotal reports and download the latest copy of the "Maximum Performance" toilet test report here:
http://www.cwwa.ca/home_e.asp
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Have been plumbing for 30 yrs and have never had a complaint about American Standard.

And indeed, according to the Canadian Water and Wastewater Association (CWWA) tests most American Standard models other than the EL and RF ones perform very well. OTOH, as with many manufacturers, AS makes bad performing ones as well. The EL and RF models perform extremely poorly.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Whoops. EL and RF refer to the bowl style. The AS models (of either style) that do not perform well are the FloWise, Plebe and Revenna models, among others. See the report for specifics...
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars