brands of toilets to avoid

Thinking about a new toilet, Anybody know any certain brand or model # to avoid. Looking at a Toto but don't know anybody with first hand experience. Live in Nashville Tn.

thanks

Mike Lane

Reply to
Michael Lane

I'm happy with my Toto; plan to add another when the existing one craps out. You can compare Totos here:

You may find something here:

Look for one with a fully glazed trap, bigger than 2" Toto's "Drake" fills the bill, and seems well thought of. There are good ones in other brands

And no, I have nothing to do with Toto, other than being a satisfied user.

Reply to
Roy Starrin

If you're looking at a Toto there's nothing to avoid. Nice toilets, work well. Check eBay for prices then call the company - I've had them quote lower prices over the phone.

RicodJour

Gerber makes nice toilets but I would only buy an extended height version. Their water level is very high in the normal height version. Consumer Reports recommends buying taller toilets anyway though I wonder if that is a problem in a house with young children.

Reply to
Art

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote in news:642-46ED2558-546@storefull-

3137.bay.webtv.net:

Toto may be swooped up in a Tornado and take to OZ.

Reply to
Me

Reply to
Smarty

Mike,

Consumer's Report did a pretty comprehensive review and comparison of toilets in the last year or two, and Toto was highly rated. You might check with the local library or the CU website to see if you can get this comparison. It will also tell you which brands to avoid.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Stay away from the "Plebe" model. I forget who makes it, but they are the cheap kind that are put in by builders. They clog easily.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I installed a Toto Ultimate (one piece) toilet in July, and I couldn't be happier with it. I got a great deal online, from Home Click, which was recommended by another poster. It was $200 cheaper than my only local dealer's price, and delivery was free! I still can't believe that a low-flow toilet can work so much better than my old high-flow. And no, I don't work for the company, I'm just a very satisfied homeowner.

Reply to
<h>

I recently installed a Kohler and an American Standard. The former clogs much more than the latter. Kohler&#39;s are easier to install, but they don&#39;t seem to work as well.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I have 2 Toto&#39;s. They work great. One, a Gmax model, which has 3 inch flap gives better flush than other one with 2 inch flap.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I strongly suggest you avoid the various self appointed expert web sites or annecdotal reports and download the latest copy of the "Maximum Performance" toilet test report here:

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Have been plumbing for 30 yrs and have never had a complaint about American Standard.

Reply to
jim

And indeed, according to the Canadian Water and Wastewater Association (CWWA) tests most American Standard models other than the EL and RF ones perform very well. OTOH, as with many manufacturers, AS makes bad performing ones as well. The EL and RF models perform extremely poorly.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Whoops. EL and RF refer to the bowl style. The AS models (of either style) that do not perform well are the FloWise, Plebe and Revenna models, among others. See the report for specifics...