Brand Recommendations For Bathroom Faucet ?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.
Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?
I see HD and Lowes seem to carry
American Standard Delta Price Pfister etc.
and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?
Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.
Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?
Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts, and are pretty much the same ?
Opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

I am a big fan of Delta. I use them in all the houses I own.
Good quality at a decent price. Not as good as they formerly were but then nothing is as good.
The seats and springs are cheap to replace when the time finally comes and they last a long time between changes.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Hi, When I had this house built in 1994 I specified all Delta fixtures. So far so good. Not a single problem yet. Knocking on the wood! Only plumbing related item I replaced couple time is flapper in the toilet water tank, ISE garburater in the kitchen sink which was a easy job.
On 1/30/2011 7:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I have Delta in some rooms and Kohler in others. The Kohler stuff cost me several hundred dollars per sink / shower whereas the Delta was way below half that price.
The Deltas have, as Tony reports, held up amazingly well for 15 + years. The Kohlers have failed over and over again despite their claims of no maintenance ceramic valves.
I would always buy Delta in the future based on my experiences.

Buy a Moen, and walk away from it for ten or fifteen years, then just buy a drop in ceramic cartridge. I have built five homes, and NEVER fixed a Moen. Yet, anyway. Have gone through those others you mentioned, a Price Pfister on a kitchen faucet in a vacation rental THREE TIMES.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

You're not going to find anything reliable for less than $91.00. If you're serious about going that high let me know and I will remommend some for you.
"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,
Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.
Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?
I see HD and Lowes seem to carry
American Standard Delta Price Pfister etc.
and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?
Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.
Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?
Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts, and are pretty much the same ?
Opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
--------------------------------
Price-Pfister are a Black and Decker company and I have a dislike for Black and Decker companies but that's my personal choice. In Canada Price Pfister always seem to be the cheapest price of the brand names. Stanley now own Black and decker and price pfister for the last 2 years.
I've noticed many a 20 year old plus moen faucet in many people's home.
just my $0.02

I've got seven moen's in my house and in twenty years I've had to replace two cartridges. I've also got a PricePfister for the kitchen sink and it's needed some parts but it's lifetime guarantee and they have always sent me the parts when I call them. I got delta's in some rentals and they seem to hold up well. I actually prefer the way the delta and PF mechanisms work a lot more then the moen.
Bob,
If you're going to put it in yourself, open the box in the store and look at the hardware. I got the house brand at Home Depot for my kitchen and the connections were very short and difficult to get connected. Most of the other brands were much better engineered and easier to hook up.
It may not be such a big deal with one for the bathroom, but it's worth a look before you buy so you know what you're dealing with.
Good luck.
dss

Remember that taking out the entire sink makes installing the faucets a real easy job. While you're at it install 1/4 turn ball valves and braided hoses for hook up. Also the drain system may be overdue for renewal which will be nice when your el cheapo faucet fails in a year or two.
Joe

So you would advise unsoldering the angle stops and soldering on the new ball valves?
Not disagreeing, just asking. I have an older house and some of the angle stops will not shut off fully. But these are very tight spaces and it doesn't look easy to replace them.

Any time you have a chance to get rid of older type stop valves it is prudent to do so. It doesn't get any easier if you delay, so why wait?
Joe

Definitely. The old angle stops will eventually leak as well as not shutting off.

As of Friday, I was asking the same question and thus, asked my plumber co-worker who indicated Delta.
In my case, I ended up buying the cheaper Lowes Aquasource because we plan to redo the bathroom in the near future and I didn't want to spend the money on a nicer faucet only to want a different design later. The Aquasource is a nice looking faucet (though mostly plastic) and I installed in less than 5 minutes. Hell, it took longer to empty out the vanity under the sink. Anyway, if you're planning to keep the faucet for a long time with your current decor, spend for a Delta. It will be my choice when we remodel our bath.

Personally, I won't use anything but Price Pfister any more. Their ceramic cartridge design is far superior to most others as no torque is transmited through the cartridge - the stops are on the top.

How did you come up with the $65 price?
On 1/30/2011 5:42 PM, Bob wrote:

As others have said, Delta and Kohler are good. In the lower price line is Moen and they are usually pretty good. Others in this forum have talked about Moen's great customer service. I put Kohler in my new house 1 1/2 years ago, not because of any brand loyalty, but because they had the brushed satin finish and this model has a high spout. We really like the higher spout ... it just gives a little more room for hand washing and filling a glass.

Moen is not a "lower price line" brand. They have models which are all over the place in terms of price, just like Delta and Kohler.

I like Peerless.two handle faucets for the money.
greg

I like Peerless.two handle faucets for the money.
greg
** Just in case you don't know, Peerless is made by Delta. What corners may be cut I can't tell you.