Brand new MTD Yardworks lawn tractor won't start.

Yes I know you get what you pay for..but my last MTD last about 11 yrs so I thought I'd buy another. Got it home the other day, filled it with fresh fuel, made sure the oil was ok..etc..When I went to start it, it wouldn't even turn over. It was dead. I just assumed they had charged the battery at the factory. Just for the fun of it I phoned the 1-800 number and asked if they indeed charge the battery at the factory. The phone rep said yes..

I thru the charger on for a couple of hours. It started, but it took many tries. Cut the front lawn. The next day went to do the back... it turns over, but doesn't start. I threw the charger on again,..this time for 4 hrs. The manual says no less then 1 hr. It started very easily this time. Today I went out to finish the job, and it's not starting again. Turning over, not starting.

I'm think I'm going to take the tractor back to the store. The problem is they will just give me another one, and what if it does the same thing? The tractor is a 15.5 Yard Works

Any suggestions to what I may be overlooking. All the connections are tight all over the machine. Should I be charging the battery longer?

Reply to
jinxy

You can get a bum unit by any brand. I bought a new John Deere about 2 years ago. It was delivered serviced and ready to run and I drove it from the driveway to the basement of a house we just bought. Came out next week to the house (was in the process of moving from one to the other) and filled it up with fresh gas from a brand new 5 gallon gas can. It went about 200 feet and died. I started it up and it went about another 200 feet and quit. Then from 50 to 100 feet was all it would run. They came by and picked it up. Brought it back next week (as soon as I could meet them) .Said the seat switch was bad so they replaced the seat. I parked it in the basement again. Next week It started doing its thing of running a short time and stopping. It would run for about 10 minuits at a time now. Did not have time to mess with it as a fellow came by that was doing some work on the house for me and I needed to help him. Came back to the house the next week. Got on the mower and had decided if it messed up I was going to send it back. It ran just fine for about an hour or so tuil I cut it off. From that time on the only time it stops is when I cut it off or one of the safety switches cut it off such as when I get off without putting the brake on. Well pleased with it for the last two years .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Only thing you are overlooking is the dealer. Call him and tell him the problem. That is why companies have warranties. They will either fix or replace it.

No matter the brand, sometimes thing happen in shipping, store personnel mistreat things, etc. Let them make good on it. As for a replacement doing the same thing, I sort of doubt it. Common sense says that if every MTD Yard Works tractor did not start, they would not still be in business. . . . . of course anything is possible ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have the battery checked. I've seen brand new batteries fail.

Could save yourself a lot of time and trouble if that is the problem.

Reply to
Freckles

Take it back. If the second one does it, take it back. If the third one does it, take it back. If you don't want all the hassles of taking them back, then buy a quality mower like an Exmark ZTR or such. Yes, you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

According to Consumer Reports the 'John Deere's sold by Lowes and Home Depot are actually made by MTD.

Reply to
Art

The only commonality I see in your description is that they mower starts each time you charge the battery. Call the store and tell that you have a battery issue and ask how they want to make it right.

Reply to
C & E

Probably an electrical short somewhere, take it back.

Reply to
m Ransley

They may be. It is still recommended to go to a John Deere store to buy one. That way if you have any problems with it, they will take care of it. I was pleased with the repair service I got at the local Deere store. Thye came and got it, repaired it, and delivered it in a timely manner. If you get one somewhere else you have to worry with it if it is not working correctly while under warrenty.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery