Brand new defective Frigidaire Refrigerator

Page 1 of 2
The goons at Best Buy delivered a new refrigerator to me over the weekend. This Frigidaire model FRS26RLESC0 does NOT COOL. What a crock! How can they let something like this out of the factory? Who is in charge of Quality Control, Homer Simpson?
The compressor and fan sound like they are running but the exchanger is not passing hot air to the outside. Here's the big question: Do I let Frigidaire repair this problem or do I demand that Best Buy deliver another unit? Here is the risk of choice #2. They could scrape away more wood from the kitchen door moulding to the point where I would need to hire a carpenter to repair it. Yes, these morons seem to have a depth perception problem and seem to like to bang everything in the path of the refrigerator, coming or going. There are over 4 gouges from their first delivery attempt. They also made a mess on the kitchen floor, dismantling the old refrigerator.
Either of these choices suck. Which would you make?
You are entitled to a working product. Best Buy is compelled to deliver a working product or default on the contract. They are also responsible for damages to your property. Ask for the store manager, demand a new refrigerator and demand a visit from their insurance adjuster cause they're gonna pay for damages.
PS- Frigidaire just closed America oldest and largest plant that produces refrigerators and moved it to Mexico...essentially put a whole Michigan town out of work. Hasta La Vista, Baby....can you spell NAFTA?!

who are doing that? I'd like to be able to find out who does and who doesn't deserve my american patronage of their products and services.
I think you should buy some ice Its an Ice box right, and the wood was probably scratched before , troll

Yep, NAFTA is evil alright. <G> The USA "stole" a Gillette razor plant from Canada and moved it to the USA and put hundreds of Canadians out of work after NAFTA began. Well, the last laugh though goes to Mexico who in turn stole the plant & those jobs from the USA.
Same set up for Weiser locks..formerly of Burnaby BC Canada, then to AZ, NOW to Mexico.
I have a 15 yr old Zenith TV which "inside" says Made in Mexico.
One way of looking at it though is the fact that as the production of these and other items went "offshore" the COST has essentially remained the same or dropped. I paid nearly $ 400 for a 21" color TV to watch the World Series in 1971. I can get a 27" TV for less than that over 30 yrs later. All my Sony stuff (and nearly all the 'normal' stuff I buy these days -from coats to couches) is Made in China.

increased that $400 by the rate of inflation for the past 33 years! And look how much better TV's are now than they were 33 years ago.
Everyone screams about jobs moving to China or Mexico, or wherever. These same people flock to the cheapest merchandise. If someone actually did manufacture TV's in the USA, nobody would be willing to pay the higher price. They'd go get the cheapest one.

$1782.69 would be the equivalent 2002 dollars. Excellent point Dave.
Steve B.

Exactly the point I was making. Also, someone here said (approx " I ll pay you 50.00 a month and you can pursue the American Dream). No, thats the Mexican dream to make 50 USD a month.
I bought a 2002 Ford for 40K..it was iffy if it was going to be Hecho en Mexico or made at the KTP. Turned out the Crew cabs are all made at KTP. Either way, Ford stockholders share the profit. I m glad I paid a US workers wages for a week or so. R
What should really be scary for US autoworker is the quality of the Chrysler PTcruiser. According to Consumer Reports it is as reliable as Japanese brands yet made in Mexico and with $5k discounts routine it is cheap.

Curmudgeon wrote:

Excellent! We can now get a product cheaper - and possibly better.

Hey, I bet you would be willing to help bring back the good old American Spirit! Tell you what...you come work for me, and I will pay you about $50 a MONTH and you can live the American dream too..... For cryin out loud man, you dont get quality for those wages....if you think you do, think again.

Abe M. wrote:

reputation and buy one there.. if you go for price it always comes back and sticks you... these discounters hire new people who dont have any interest in what they are doing... my new refrig. was put in my house and set up and working before the guys left the house... very professional and the price was alot cheaper than sears.... free delivery, they came on time like they were suppose to and i got one that would fit in the area that it was going into... gotta plan ahead when making decisions on buying stuff.....
Abe M. wrote:

"goons" .. that may be the answer. If the refrigerator was stored or shipped other than right side up, it may need to sit for some time upright and level before it can work. I don't know if it can be damaged by trying to run it under that condition. Check the manual and see if it comments on this.
If that does not do it, contact Best Buy and I expect they will take care of it. They may even take care of the damage done to the woodwork.
In any case take a deep breath and relax a little before you do anything. It is not the end of the world and not worth getting all that upset over. Really.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
acne_is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abe M.) wrote in message

I'd demand a 100% refund from Best Buy, including any delivery charge, plus all costs of repairs to the house. File with www.bbb.org and mail a written complaint to your credit card company (must mail, must deliver to the special address for billing errors -- anything is a billing error, and also say you worked in good faith with the merchant to solve the problem and that you don't accept the merchandise and service). If that doesn't work, file with small claims court and call the local media. I hope you didn't sign anything waiving them of responsibility for any damages.
I wouldn't accept a repair if the problem is related to the sealed portion (compressor, evaporator, condenser) because some companies now don't reimburse repair companies for evacuating all the air and moisture, and that can't be good for long term reliability. A refrigerator repaired this way may last for the duration of the 5-year compressor warranty but fall far short of the typical 15-year lifespan. Check alt.hvac to see what appropriate and inappropriate repairs would be, but Google Groups search it first because some of the people there hate consumers.
I hope you realize that Frigidare refrigerators have some of the worst reliability in the industry, while Whirlpool (Roper, Kitchenaid, most Sears Kenmores, at least some Costco Kirkland appliances) has about the best.
Has anyone ever had anything worthwhile occur as a result of contacting the BBB?
RB
do_not_spam_me wrote:

About 3 times out of 3. Some merchants don't want any red marks on their BBB record.
That is why I buy from Sears. They will meet Best Buys price and send you a new refrigerator no questions asked. Around here they are now delivering even the heaviest products with straps instead of carts. 2 guys carried a 300 lb duet washer into my house with straps without touching the floor or anything else. Same with a GE side by side refrigerator. Strong guys and they get a big tip from me.

Plus, they'll give you an extra 10% of the difference between their price and Best Buy's. And delivery is always free (by rebate) on anything priced over $399

Does Sears use its own delivery men, or do they contract out to the lowest bidder? Nowadays everyone tries to save a buck, and that includes businesses.
The thing that upsets me about Best Buy is that they hire people who don't seem to have a lot of experience. These guys don't carry all the necessary tools, and they are very sloppy with regard to cleanup. This crew is several notches down from the men who delivered a projection tv to me 3 years ago (no problem, same store).
Best Buy has offered to replace the non-functioning refrigerator with a new one, but first I will give Frigidaire a chance to repair it. If the problem is major, i.e., not trivial, I will exchange it even if it works for the next few days. Like someone said, why risk a future headache in 5-15 years.
I originaly thought this was a Troll as so many posts are thanks to our favorite.
The bbb - B.B.B. Better, Business, Bureau ,, bs is powerless - worthless and crookid, ----- they are deceptive in their claims , refunds??? SUCCESS - RATE ???? ------ referralls for $$$$ , Yes ,
In the 90s they wanted to publish a BBB book it went under and they would not refund my money.
I PAID and LOST . 1275.00 $$$$
But the BBB is Toothless in the decisions, Courts are not.
Forget the bbbs , WAKE UP it aint even paid for ,,,,,,,,,,,,, get a new frige and dont screw around or take repairs.