Brand New Cub Cadet -- Lasted For One Minute

Page 1 of 2
GT 2550
Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction manual. Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. Now won't start at all, or even grind. Just a clicking noise.
Man, this has got to be a world record. I'll call Guinness and Ripley.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 31, 12:57 pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

"Just a clicking noise" sounds like a dead battery. It may have been weak and had only 1 start left. 1 minute at half throttle might not have been long enough to charge it up. Have you tried jumping it?
I know that doesn't explain the stalling, but if you could get it started again with a jump, you'd be that much closer to seeing if there was real problem with the machine.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:21:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That's good advice and I do have jumpers as well as a charger and would follow that advice for an older unit, but I expect a brand new machine to have a battery that works. Unit to be picked up by retailer tomorrow. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote: ...

I'd have expected a retailer to have checked if it was delivered, etc., but it's certainly not unheard of for a new battery to have infant mortality syndrome nor, possibly, if the unit had been in stock a while just hadn't been charged fully.

✖
On Oct 31, 1:38 pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

Picked up or looked at? Are they sending a tech to see if it can be fixed on-site or are they just going to take it away and work on it elsewhere?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:10:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

No, the pick-up guy isn't a tech. At their expense, they're picking it up and going back to shop to fix what ails it, whether it be the battery, starter, or whatever.
Add pictures here
✖
End of story, then?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:38:26 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

You DID put oil in the crankcase before starting it, I hope. The engines are shipped DRAINED.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:47:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The cranky case has erl, right up to the "full" mark on the dipstick.
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

Don't be insulted, someone had to ask about the oil. I've worked on a lot of air cooled generators that had engines like those in a garden tractor and the engines were equipped with a low oil pressure cut off. The engine would crank and run for a short time then shut off if the oil pressure was low or in a number of cases, the oil pressure switch was defective, the engine would not run. You write that all your new machine will do is click. I wonder, with all of the safety switches being installed on new equipment, is it possible that there is a lockout switch on the brake, clutch, gearshift, seat, cowl or accessory drive? I've only repaired one Cub Cadet and it was a 1967 model belonging to a customer who bought an automatic standby generator from us. That old tractor was very simple and had none of all those new fangled safety devices.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:29:58 -0500, The Daring Dufas

You expect a new car to have "dealer prep."
I expect the same thing with a new tractor.
Yeah, my old Cub was a 1987 that I left with the dealer when purchasing this new one.
Shoulda kept it instead.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 1, 6:47 am, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

Is there a fuel shutoff on it.
Add pictures here
✖
thought of loose elect connection?
Add pictures here
✖
most new mowers come with NO OIL. Major damage did you fill it up BEFORE STARTING?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:19:18 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

No.
Dipstick is right up to the full mark with clean-looking oil.
Been using Cub Cadet garden tractors for 30 years.
Never used any other tractor.
They were always set-up and prepped by the dealer.
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

You have to post what happened after the dealer repairs your tractor. I would love to know what the problem is. I'm used to working on equipment that I've never seen before and knowing when to call the factory rep or tech support is a skill everyone needs to develop. If you understand the principles of how things work, you have a better chance of repairing something. I really wish the education system here in The US would spend as much money on the sciences as it does football.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:21:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas

OK, the guy who picked it up diagnosed a "bad battery cell."
He said that charging would not improve the situation. He took the unit away to replace the battery and to have the techs examine the entire charging system.
I agree with you 1000%. I am totally clueless when it comes to mechanical knowledge, having gone to a Catholic elementary and high school that provided no type of training in skilled blue collar disciplines. Ditto college.
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

You can get a new battery with a bad cell, anything can break. Quality control is much better than it used to be and even if a product passes a factory test, something can always break in transit or to some odd anomaly in the material composing it.
I always explain to people that I have no fear of terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns for teachers. I do have an inexplicable fear of albino penguins for some reason. We did have science classes in school back in the 50's and 60's. It doesn't have to be at the same level as MIT graduate school but teaching kids simple concepts of how the world around them functions is priceless. Children are desperate for information and can readily soak it up. I was lucky in a way to escape the Catholic parochial gulag in the fourth grade and wind up in the government run schools but the quality of education was lacking. At least the flogging and dismemberment stopped.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 13:41:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Elementary school days were in the 50s and, in the 8th grade at least, included a gen. science course but the concepts of which you contemplate were missing, unless I was asleep.
But boy oh boy, they drilled the hell out of us in the art of diagramming sentences.
Add pictures here
✖