Brand new Ariens snow blower leaks oil.

Page 2 of 2

It's not working in your favor, MoRon!
On Dec 19, 6:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

OK, cumcovereddick.

??? I didn't say you were GAY, just a MoRon.
I would suggest that you keep these things to yourself. Then again, you are a MoRon, so you will probably feel the need to continue burying yourself further.
Post away, Gay moron!
On Dec 19, 6:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You're so simpleminded, you can't put 2an2 together. Keep thinking about it, I'm sure it will cum to you.
BTW, do you have a problem with gays, homophobe?
On Dec 17, 5:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Bahhhahahahahaha they called and left a message with me today and are returning it to me tomorrow morning. A two day turn around time. Yeah they sure told me! And you sure did too! You keyboard big shot! Bahahahhahahahaha
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:14:37 -0800 (PST), poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That sounds like it will be more than 6 days your machine has been broken... and right when you needed it. Bummer!
On Dec 19, 6:35 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

They picked it up on Monday and returned it on Wed. Sorry, no snow in those three days. Even if there was I would use the blade on my JD tractor. Sorry to blow your horseshlt theory out the window.
BTW: You don't have to mark your pathetic posts for quick deletion. My posts showing your asinine comments will keep your pathetic posts in Usenet history forever.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Unproductive response from a guy looking for help.
<PLONK>

Ditto! I received some decent responses from decent people. I guess that puts you "in the other bucket" of people now doesn't it?

Thanks for that incredible insight. Unfortunately this is a Tecumseh problem not a Home Depot one.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Will not hurt to ask HD if they will take and give you a new one. To maintain good will, I suspect they will do it.

Tecumseh engines have not been known for quality ever since I started working on engines (almost 60 years ago). Generally the problems seem to stem around their practice of buying bulk over stocked parts. Therefore, there was a wide variance between engines of the same model number. That is why one generally needs the serial number when ordering parts - so the various brands and types of parts will match the original.
That being said, Tecumseh engines have not had the reputation for leaking oil. My first guess would be to check the level of oil in the engine. If over filled, it could be throwing oil mist which later drips. If there was an oil leak, it should happen whether you just ran the engine or not. And, you should be able to trace the source.
I really don't think you have a serious problem. Park it over a large piece of cardboard or something. You might be able to get a bertter idea where the oil drip is originating.
Just some thoughts - hard to tell something concrete from a written description and without seeing the thing.
Bob-tx

...Yet Ariens snow-throwers use them and Ariens have a reputation for outlasting pretty much all other brands, at least in the consumer range. It's not uncommon for someone to ask a question here about a minor problem with their 25-30 year sold Ariens. Interesting!
Mine always starts on the first pull, even after sitting unused for 6-8 months. Always!

Is this a 2 cycle engine? If so, it may just be the oil mist from the exhaust draining down as it sits overnight. Wipe it down before putting it away.

Hi, no 4 cycle Snow King Tecumseh engine.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

First- is it engine oil? (most likely source)
Second- what is oil level in crankcase? If it's significantly over full, the dipper on the rod will whip it up into foam that escapes via the crankcase breather; get it back down to spec, test & report.
Otherwise, could be: bad crank seal, cracked block, failed breather hose, etc. Or ... if your run the engine significantly tipped from normal upright position, you'll have oil expelled as though it was a quart-over- DAMHIKT.
John

I believe that it is engine oil. If you mean that it could be the gear case grease I don't think so. That's an 80w and this looks and feels like regular 5w30 oil. I tipped the unit slightly during usage (tipped the machine back) when I moved into a snow bank but nothing out of the ordinary. The following day it sat unused inside and it leaked a little (10 drops.) Doing some searches it looks like others have had problems with Ariens snowblowers with Techumseh engines and they thought it was the oil sump gasket and they claimed it was easy to replace. I'm not sure what that is exactly. I'll check the level again and run it stationary tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks.

Can you post some nice, clear photos of the leak, at a site like www.photobucket.com?
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Okay, what is the oil level in the crankcase? This is important. Too much is a very bad thing.
Then: I found that with the 8hp Tecumseh on my beast that when it got tipped about 30-40 degrees going into one snowbank that, if I was looking at the base of the engine, I'd see new flow of engine oil. IIRC, it emerged around crankcase breather valve.
Also: single-cyl engines have major pressure variations in the crankcase, what with the motion of the single piston. They rely on a breather valve near the camshaft (typically) to control flow of gases from crankcase to maintain appropriate pressure inside. If that fails, and the crankcase is pressurized, expect flow past seals.
Homework: clean off all leaked oil. Tape kraft paper onto sheet metal where oil was seen. Exercise machine and not oil flow patterns on paper. Report.
John

The oil level is good (at least it is now) midway point on the "full" marker. Although I thought it was good before all of this happened. What you describe might be the case. I noticed today before the unit got picked up that the hose that comes off the crankcase breather had a little bit of oil still on the end of the hose. You could very well have nailed it down. I would just be surprised that that much oil would have streamed out. I will definitely watch for that in the future though. Thanks for your help.