Brand new American Standard Toilet leaks (Williamsburg)

Hi All: I just bought a toilet and tank from Home Depot (Williamsburg Collection) and installed it. I noticed that a very fine leak was flowing into the toilet bowl, emptying the tank in the process.
So I returned the defective tank and got a new one from the store. However, it still has the exact same problem as the one i returned. Some other things I have done: + Balanced the tank so that it is even keel + Applied plumbers grease to the flapper valve
For a brand new tank, this is a lot of problem. Is there anything that I could do to fix this?
Your advice will be very helpful, thanks in advance.
Manju
plumbers grease to the flapper? thats a new one and a mistake.
On 22 Dec 2003 21:17:53 -0800, ThinkNotes wrote:

Frequently the float needs to be adjusted on new units. Check it out, the water may be comming from the overflow tube.

Thanks for your help....the overflow tube appears to be dry, since the water level is below the top of the float tube. How should I adjust the float (which is the little foam piece that floats right above the flapper valve, right?)
I also called American Standard and they said that perhaps there was a pinhole leakage in the flush valve, so they are sending me a brand new valve assembly (with a new float attached to it). Dont know if that will work, but am keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks, Manju