branch panel grounding question

I'll be running THHN through EMT to the branch panel, and I was wondering if I could run a bare copper grounding conductor outside of the conduit? I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it through the conduit.
Thanks, Bill

No. Code says all conductors for any given circuit must be *in* the same cable, raceway, conduit, etc.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding conductor.
--
Regards,

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years, at the inspector's expense.
Nick
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:14:32 GMT, "bill allemann"

IMHO, since not your electrician:
Some might suggest you omit the equipment grounding conductor, since you are using emt, but I find it safer to include it. Just make sure your ground wire is sized properly, per codes.
Also, check with your local codes, even though you don't have to route a ground wire, since emt, your local codes might have more restrictive rules.
later,
tom @ www.
On 20 Mar 2007 15:41:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

What inspector? What inspector is required to 'fix' things?
later,
tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com

This confused me too at first, but I think he means that the inspector failed to tell the buyer that there was something wrong, that the inspector had a duty to notice. And the buyer bought. So the inspector, maybe via his insurance, had to pay for the repair.

Wow, I hope they post the name. Since it appears that either they do a good job, or they fix it.
Nice!
tom