Branch 25'-30' up in tree; any EASY way to trim it?

Page 1 of 2
OK... this may be a simple question BUT...
I have a branch occluding my satellite receiver (or so I believe). This branch is only about 1" dia at the base. It's just a little guy so it makes sense to try to clip it to see if my reception improves.
The catch is that this branch is a good 25'-30' up in the tree.
Any ideas how to trim this branch without having to invest in some serious equipment or paying someone to come out and do it? Are there any do-it-yourself devices which can reach that high?

Remington w/ .308 Win. Magnum and 4X scope (sorry, couldnt resist)
I did mine by climbing up the tree.

LOL! Yes... the Remington (or similar) was surely an idea. However a good silencer would be an absolute MUST lest the neighbors be scared! (and with my luck I'd read the day after of people to the south of me getting hit by stray fire)...
The way this tree grows it's not really an option to climb it. It goes too far OUT from any main branch (it's a live oak which spreads like crazy)

Just toss a line over the branch and pull up 1/2 stick of 60%, preferably with an electric cap. Fuse is cheaper but you are committed when you light it and a lot can happen in 60 seconds.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stellijer wrote:

Got a ladder? Got a pole saw? If not, get both. Either buy them or borrow them. If you own property with trees, you'll need them, sooner or later.

I have both. But me ON the ladder and the pole saw in hands only reached to around maybe 20' high (I only have a 6' ladder and when you consider I had to grip the pole about 18" at least). I've surely needed the pole saw at times but never needed to reach THAT high.
I *am* considering a 10' or 12' ladder, though, for various reasons, and maybe I could get an extension for the pole...
Hmm. Would make sense to make a couple phone calls, see if you can borrow a taller ladder. Longer pole saw gets kinda clumsy.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We once had to retrieve something from about 35' up a pretty massive (but unclimbable by us) tree.
- We ran an 18' extension ladder up the tree, and tied it off to the trunk. - Then, we spliced two pool poles together with duct tape, with a hook on the top end. - The lightest adult (not me ;-) climbed up the ladder, and tied _himself_ to the tree. - handed him the pole. - After much cursing, swearing and general merriment, he managed to hook the thing down...
A pole saw would be horrible. A pole _lopper_ might be okay, if you can get the pole stiff enough to not buckle when you pull on the rope.
A good tree service guy could probably scramble up your tree and do it in less than 10 minutes. We use a tree service whose tree monkey could probably have it off in less than 30 seconds from arriving. But I think your're a little too far away from where Mick lives... ;-)
Call your local tree services, as long as you can make it real convenient for them (ie: "any time you're in our area"), they might just do it for what amounts to, say, a quarter or half an hour of their per-person hourly rate.
It's just good business for them...
Our service charges $50CDN/hour/man (these guys are worth it!).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I figure anyone using "occluding" in a sentence can afford to hire a tree trimmer.
wrote in message

LOL!
Oh, if only it always worked that way! Anyway - "COULD" afford doesn't always equate to "WISH" to pay. Not for such minute a reason as this ;)

"Minute?" This "minute" issue is the difference between TV or no TV.
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Kill your television. End of problem.

Amen, Brother! Preachin' to the choir....
9 years ago, when I was a young lad, with no money, the cable bill was often the last bill to get paid. If we paid it at all. The cable company didn't seem to feel that they needed to provide me with free service, so they disconnected it. I remember the moment exactly - I was watching a bonerrific Warren Miller film about heli-skiing in British Columbia - "six thousand goddam vertical feet of untracked powder, woo hoo, oh look at that awesome..." "click!" "...the hell?"
Now, I can afford it, but I don't want it. Everyone's always suprised when they find out that I don't intentionally submit myself to hours and hours a day of self-induced force-fed crap and advertising. There was a significant withdrawal period, to be sure, ("Dammit! I just gotta know what happens on ER! This is serious!") but that passed quickly and I came to my senses. I always think of Peter Falk's line in "The Princess Bride" - "When I was your age, television was called 'books'."
Can you throw a line over the branch? There are flexible saw chains (NOT a chainsaw chain) that are made to be thrown over a branch, with a rope at each end, and work by pulling each rope alternately. They don't work all that great IME but for a single 1 inch branch would be OK.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
--WebTV-Mail-824-1201 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Stellijer wrote:

both ends, you could use a sling shot or other means to get a small line over it to pull the saw up,
--
Unkle Megs

Hmm.
Surely an idea. I am not terribly familiar with those but one could be handy. Indeed, the issue there would only be 'slingshot'ting it up there.

Was to cut down a (whole) 40' tree at a friends place-no ladder available. Wanted to make sure it fell toward the road, NOT the house on other side, the direction in which it was leaning. Took a rope and half of one of those old firebrick with the 3 holes thru them. Rope to brick, threw the brick over a branch about 20' up and once it was down, undid the brick, made a simple "eye' in the rope, passed the end thru and pulled til the eye/loop slid up and grabbed the tree @ 20' level- tied off tight across the road and timberrr. .. Right down on the road. Got half a brick ?

I've used these a few times for the same purpose. Very inefficient, bind easily, and also broke in the cut. I went through two or three of them (bought from a camping store) before giving up and climbing.

Looks like a handy package, with a specialized blade. I've often thought of using a regular chain-saw blade the same way - just need to punch out one link to open it. Might make sense to loop the rope so you can pull it around a few times in case the saw gets to the top pointed the wrong way.
Does shooting branches down really work? How big a green branch will a .308 round take down?