Brads for brad nailer

My girlfriend gave me a brad nailer for Christmas. It was purchased from Overstock.com and is some sort of Chinese import (the name on the box is Grand Rapids Industrial). The documentation says nothing about what brand of fasteners to use with the tool and no fasteners came with it.
I went to the local Lowes and purchased a package of 1-5/8" Bostich brads, which say they work with Bostich, Porter Cable, Senco and Accuset nailers. Unfortunately, they do not fit my off-brand nailer. Almost, but not quite. The head of the brad is slightly taller (a few thousandths of an inch), than the corresponding slot in the faceplate of the tool.
Can anyone who is familiar with the various brad nailers offer any insight into whether or not such small differences exist between fasteners from different manufacturers? I would think not, and suspect that this particular nailer is simply out of tolerance.
Jim S.
--
Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via email.

Jim Sculley wrote:

Hi Jim,
Two things to look for when buying nails. The gauge and the angle. Brads are the thinner gauage and normally a straight. If not they are angled 20 degrees. I would assume that 1 5/8 are trim nails and not brad. If you look for 1" nail they will be brad nails.
-Lee

brad nails are usually 16 gauge and 18 gauge 5/8"-1 5/8"
try the 18 gauge porta cable brads they fit most brad guns
bostich only retrofits a few brad guns and they are different than porta cable in length
angle nails are for finish guns not brad guns