BR Sink Problem

My bathroom sink is two years old. The drain (the round cover) is stainless steel and is attached to a piece of plastic that goes down in the drain and is supposed to be attached to something -- the piece that makes it go up and down. The stainless steel piece that you pull on to lift the drain cover or push on to close it -- is attached to something under the sink. The round cover is the kind that you can unscrew and lift off -- and clean the sink if it gets stopped up. Anyway, the round cover and the plastic piece it is screwed to ... have come free from whatever it is supposed to attach to down in the drain. It just lifts right out now. When I want to let the water drain out I reach in, pull it up and let the water out ... then put it back in to cover the hole. I have looked under the sink and cannot find anything that it might connect to. Are any of you familiar with this? It did not come with a book of instructions -- it was installed by a plumbing company that also installed a low flow toilet at the same time. Plenty of stuff about the toilet - guarantees etc., but nothing but the sales slip for the sink. Hate to pay a plumber to come out just for this --

Reply to
Dottie

[...]

I just made a repair like this to my Moen sink fixture. Don't know what yours is but probably similar.

If you look under sink in back you will see the rod that raises and lowers the drain. It is attached to a rod that goes into the bottom of the sink. This rod could have just detached or, as in my case, corroded off. You can access the rod by unscrewing the part that holds it in. Probably plastic and you can do it by hand. I had bought a new rod which has a ball and washer for a seal. I could have just lengthened the rod by tapping the rod in further. At any rate, it took less than

10 minutes for me to fix.

Unfortunately the Moen website does not show the bottom of the sink but this may give you some idea:

Look up your faucet manufacturer and see if you can find their parts diagram.

Reply to
Frank

Frank

Try this video on youtube. If you are missing any of the parts that work the pop-up your local hardware store or Wal-Mart or home depot etc.will have the replacements.

The hardest part is crawling on the floor to get at everything

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Could be that or it could just be the stopper part inside the sink has become disconnected. The ones I have are removable. You can turn the whole stopper inside the sink about 1/8 turn and disengage it. It goes back on the same way, just turning it in the opposite direction.

The little round cover piece that's on top really isn't supposed to unscrew from the stem piece, at least not on mine. Mine the whole thing comes out if you turn it the other direction to disengage it for cleaning.

Reply to
trader4

Thank you. I watched the video -- won't try doing that myself. But if I can re-attach the part that has come loose (the diagram is exactly like mine) then I will try. The round piece does come free of the plastic part (the flange) ... need to study it. Thank you again. That was a big help.

Reply to
Dottie

Any reasonably handy neighbor should be able to fix it for you if you have the parts.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Read a story once about a single gal who moved into a new apartment in New York. Her first mission was to find a single guy in the building with a tool kit. Whenever she had a small "honey-do" job, she'd invite him over for dinner. Their internal conversations went like this:

Her: "He's a miracle worker. He can install a towel rack so it won't fall down and all I have to do is throw a couple of extra potatoes in the pot!"

Him: "She's a miracle worker. For a couple of thirty-five cent bolts of the right kind, I get a home-made rack-of-lamb dinner!"

You might look around your neighborhood. There are other minor glitches in your future.

Reply to
HeyBub

She *is* a miracle worker. She can make a rack of lamb out of potatoes.

Reply to
krw

Well, I think she was making the rack-of-lamb anyway, and just added a few potatoes.

I left out the part where, after dinner, they had sex. An enjoyable evening for one and all.

She spent the next day (a Saturday) unscrewing one of the legs on her couch, dropping bobby-pins down the sink, and loosening the screws (she used a nail file) on the hinges of an interior door.

The couple eventually married and moved to the suburbs where Esmeralda (for that was her name) endeared herself with the refrain: "Hubert, the toilet's stopped up again!" for many a year until old-age overtook them.

Reply to
HeyBub

So he really was a miracle worker too! He got a screw out of a couple of bolts.

I thought they lived happily ever after and never had anything break again.

Reply to
krw

No, the story goes no further, but reading between the lines I suspect the young man suffered from a rare psychological problem that, as far as I can tell, has no name. The syndrome is characterized by the actor having to prove his manhood before he can exercise his manhood, if you take my meaning.

Whatever, they seemed to have found a workable, though somewhat kinky, accommodation.

Reply to
HeyBub

I read all the tech suggestions with wry amusement. I put in my own B.R. faucet a while back (one of my three greatest achievements in my non-techie life. one of the others being replacing the electronic ignition in one of the compartments of my wall-oven). I goofed on hooking the kneebone to the jawbone on the opener, so I opted for a low-tech alternative: A rubber sink plug. Works like a dream!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Same thing here. The drain closer on the bathtub can't be made to work for love or money.

I take showers.

On the plus side, however, the truculent stopper thingy DID give me an excuse to buy a couple of new tools...

Reply to
HeyBub