Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

Page 2 of 4

http://forums.vugames.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9-10643-110969-3568/funny%20fart.jpg
Light a match, Ed!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
PaPaPeng wrote:

There is almost no difference. Electric elements certainly reach the ignition temperature of almost anything that can be dropped or fall on them. I can't imagine where leaving a gas burner on would be any different than an electric element.
What makes you think a Gas stove left on will be any more or less likely to start a fire than an electric? A burner with nothing on it? Neither should start a fire. A burner with food on it? Either will get plenty hot enough to start a fire. An oven? Either one should be regulated to a safe temperature by the thermostat.
--

Mike S.

"PaPaPeng" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

People at various stages of life should not be allowed to operate certain devices, such as stoves, automobiles, etc. Any chance that's you?
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:33:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Getting there. I am retired and live alone. I am normally pretty alert. But on those two occassions I had episodes where I am in a mental fog for weeks on end that I forgot even my own rule to always finish whatever I am doing at the stove first before leaving the kitchen. I have one of those "solid" pancake element stove where it is hard to know if the stove is on unless the pot is aboil. During those mental fog episodes I don't operate tools (eg.lawn mower, table saw) or so something where I can get hurt. But one has gotta eat. I don't have a car cuz' I don't use one enough to justify the expenses. My bicycle is good for trips to the mall (groceries, library, Dollar Store and MacDonalds, etc.) about 10 blocks away. There is a humongous multiple big box store business park 20 blocks away. The bus stop is just three houses away across my front door. Talkes me downtown in 40 minutes to my favorite restaurants. Max 1.5 hours by bus to anywhere cross town. I hardly of ever need to rent a car. For emergencies there are friendly neighbors and relatives further away. I never had to call in that favor yet. There is even a general hospital 12 blocks away. I've got it made. No way will I ever move elsewhere.

I love cooking with a gas stove except for trying to SIMMER something on very low heat. The perfect setup for me would be a cooktop with at least one electric burner for that purpose. I also greatly prefer the ovens to be electric. They do make combo units with gas burners and electric oven, but that doesn't quite fufill my wish.
CWM
You just need a stove with a simmer burner..mine has a 5th tiny burner in the center, turned down it barely keeps a pot warm..which is just perfect at times. It goes MUCH lower than a normal burner. I have heard that an electric oven is better, but I can't comment on that, never had one.
--

Mike S.

"Charlie Morgan" <*@*.com> wrote in message

Thanks, Mikey. I've seen those, but they still produce a hot spot that is a problem for some delicate things. In my new kitchen I had a two burner electric cooktop with infinite temp control installed for this purpose. I used to put a heavy iron plate over a gas burner, but it was not as user friendly.
CWM

Some cooking stores sell a flat, thick metal disk with a handle on it. Its purpose is to diffuse the flame so it's easier to simmer.

lacking that, get a nice heavy iron skillet... same diffuse, and is great to use.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

my stove not real expensive has a simmer burner a small one and also a high btu one...

Isn't that pretty much what a double boiler is for?

Yeah, for small quantities. Won't help much for a 5 gallon pot of soup.

No, it really isn't.
CWM
Why would a gas oven light the house on fire any faster than an electric one?
--
Steve Barker

"PaPaPeng" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:35:38 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"

I have come across lots of house fires started by candlelit dinners and parties, by candlelit ranges, flame warmed fondue pots and of course by gas ranges. I won't have an open flame anywhere in my house. No cigarette smoking. Its just one of those safety and peace of mind things. If its not there I don't have to worry about it or have to make allowance for it (as in safety practices I have to take into account when I light a candle.) I bet this Halloween will see several house fires from candlelit pumpkins.
I suppose you have electric heat also eh? What a waste.
--
Steve Barker

"PaPaPeng" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:56:10 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
In my original post I said gas heating is the only gas equipment I will have. Its fast, clean, cheap and practically maintenance free. My hot water heater is gas too. These two items of equipment are well shielded and safe.

Gas hot water heaters can trigger explosions if they are mounted on the floor.
--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/

Remove yours then. I am very comfortable with mine.