Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

Page 1 of 4

Yesterday, our large Whirlpool self cleaning oven quit working. That is, the electronic panel on it went black, and the latch that holds it shut during cleaning engaged partially. We can still open it with a fork, but the oven or clock or electronics won't work.
Call the guy. $80 for someone to come out and tell us what's wrong.
Needs two fuses, the guy says. About $20 per, and another $60 for the service call. He doesn't fix things, just gives estimates.
Today, the guy comes and says it will be $275 MORE to fix the thing. We say we'll get back to him when he faxes us a written bid. No intention of getting back to him.
The friggin thing can be replaced for $600. They want $355 to fix this.
Anyone got any suggestions? I think I can pull the unit and check the obvious fuses.
Geez, these guys make my heart surgeon look like a minimum wage worker.
Steve

Real appliance parts stores, and often public libraries have repair books which deal with specific brands & models of appliances. I'd find one, or get ready to shell out the cash to a repair person. My only other suggestion would be to open the yellow pages and look for a locally owned appliance store which has a repair & parts department. I recently had a drainage problem with my dishwasher. I went to one of these stores to buy the service manual. The parts guy asked what was wrong, showed me a $7.00 plastic valve, and said the odds were 90% it would fix the problem. It did. He also spun the computer screen around and showed me exactly where it went. I called back the next day and asked his boss where the guy usually went for lunch, and got him a $20.00 gift certificate.
And when you replace it, buy a gas unit. Then you won't have to worry about such things. (and you can cook properly on it too)
--
Steve

"Steve B" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message

He's talking about the electronics, not the circuit that makes the elements glow. Gas ranges often have the same delicate electronics as electric models.
And more often, not. I can't imagine why. I've never seen such a unit.
--
Steve Barker

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
You've never seen a gas stove with electronic controls?
--

Mike S.

"Steve Barker LT" < snipped-for-privacy@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message

I've seen them but would never buy a gas stove that wouldn't work during a power failure ;)
--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/

The electronics usually don't control the burners. Usually.

Ovens may not, but burners will You have to light the burners with a match.
If a stove has anything electrical on it, even if it is just a light or a timer, it must, by law, have a pilotless igniter

I know for goddam sure I will NEVER buy another stove with electronic controls. I didn't want this one, but I didn't get to vote.
Just give me the simple one with manual controls that I can change in five minutes.
I"ll cope.
Steve

I tried to find one a few years ago. It's not that easy. I didn't check any of the Wolf or Viking stoves, although I couldn't afford them anyway.
Steve B wrote in message ...

I hear you Steve. When I replaced my old oven with control knobs to one with electronic controls, I had no idea what a pain it would be. All that pressing arrows, waiting for the correct cooking time, then it goes fast and zips past by several hours, and you have to go back, and start over. Geez, never again.
Cheri
Cheri
Steve B wrote:

Mine (maytag) has none. Just electric spark ign.
--
Steve Barker

"George" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
What HE said.
--
Steve Barker

"Nick Hull" < snipped-for-privacy@isp.com> wrote in message
We're talking about the clock, timer, and very often, the electronic circuit that controls the oven. We are NOT talking about the 4 knobs that control the burners. With this is mind, you've either seen it, or you haven't looked. There are plenty of them.

Mine has a KNOB you turn to a certain temp. No electronics. Yes, i've seen the ones you speak of. Wouldn't have 'em. If i wanna know what time it is, i'll look at my phone.
--
Steve Barker

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:39:19 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"

I love the speed and heat of gas but I will never have such an appliance in my house, except the gas furnace. An open flame is too risky in a frame built house. The possibility of a gas leak is also dangerous - a house destroying explosion or gas poisoning. I know I may be unecessarily alarmist. But on two occassions I did leave my 2000 watt range element at max for the hours when I was not at home. A similar mistake like that with a gas range would have left me with no home to come home to.

Gas would have saved you.
I've had gas for 58 years, electric for two in there some time ago. The only time I ever had a problem was when my daughter almost burned the house down with (mis)use of the electric range. It would not have happened with the visible flame of a gas burner. What you fail to see is the reason the electric was left on. You did not see the flame of gas that you would have turned off because you saw it. Gas would have been safer in your case, and in mine when my daughter left a pot unattended on an electric burner.
Yes, a couple of houses are damaged from gas each year, but so are people electrocuted or burned in fires stated by electricity malfunctions Funny that of 58 years of using gas, no problem, with two years of electric, the fire department had to be called out.

I'd hate to be around you, when you let loose.