Bow (loop) vent for washing machine??

We are converting a closet area in our 100+ year old house into a laundry area.

The closet is on the first floor and not adjacent to any other bathrooms, kitchens, etc. The most challenging aspect is venting the drain of the washine machine.

There is a bathroom across the hall from the area but the studs run the wrong direction and it is not even clear where the bathroom vents to. Also there are two floor above the closet without any clear chase for running a new vent pipe.

Instead, of ripping up lots of plaster to find the bathroom vent and hook up to it the standard way, the plumber has suggested using a "bow" vent to go down into the basement and then back up the wall of the bathroom to hook up with the sink's vent.

Apparantly, this type of venting is not ideal and requires inspector approval. On the other hand, it works and is usually the only solution for an island sink.

So what do you folks think? Should we go the bow vent way or invest many more $$$ in trying to hook up directly to the vent system?

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Search for: island vent

Several good articles. The "bow" vent he proposes would be a good solution (IMHO); see if the inspector will buy it.

As an alternative (easier), see if the town accepts the Studor vent:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim