Bought too much paint

    I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

I tried using some paint which the previous owner of my home left in the garage for 3 winters and it behaved oddly. Why do you need to store your leftover paint in the garage?
On the other hand, I have 5-6 year old paint which have been stored indoors, and they work as well as the day I bought them.
Ed Mc wrote:

As other poster says, if it's latex and you let it freeze it'll not likely remain in good shape to use later.
OTOH, I've used paint leftover from Dad that's been in the pumphouse that is heated to roughly 40s/50s for 20 yrs or longer and it has seemed just fine...I don't necessarily recommend this as a plan, but... :)
dpb wrote:

That old paint? Lead(Pb) concern?
Tony Hwang wrote: ...

Not to me, no...

You might as well throw it away now, as keep it in the garage over winter. It will remain usable until the first hard freeze. Bring it indoors if you want to save it.

If it freezes its junk, it is water base. Take it inside.

Freezing breaks emulsions and might also be true for oil based paint. In any case I would not let it freeze. Storage time depends on container. Cans may rust out in 5-10 years. Plastic may be better but you also need to worry about drying in the container which should be tightly sealed, usually best upside down.
Ed Mc wrote:

I'd buy an empty gallon can at HD, save a gallon, and ditch the rest. Keep the gallon in the house for use as touch-up.
Next time hint for touch-up: Find a spray can of paint whose color you like. Have the paint people match it and paint your house with the matched paint. Thereafter, if you have to patch a hole, deal with bird droppings, or have a hunk that peels off, a squirt out of the spray can should make things right.

Don't let it freeze and it will last many years. Or, you could get rid of it using the "free items" on Craigslist.
Phisherman wrote:

Give it to habitat restore, get a receipt, and take the money off your taxes.
-- aem sends...

inside the house and it's good for several years. Have it reshaken next spring and put it on KIJIJI
Ed Mc wrote:

Open it up to check if it has a skin of dried paint on top. If it does, remove the skin. Next cover directly on top of the good paint with either the special plastic tops they make, or waxed paper, or cellophane. Anything that will make a decent seal between the paint and the air in the bucket. (also make sure it will be removable) I don't know your garage or weather but if it never goes below freezing then store it in the garage. If it gets freezing in the garage, bring it inside. Preferably somewhere cool.
Ed Mc wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. The paint has been moved indoors. The next day the temperature dropped to 20 degrees. You saved my bacon! I mean paint! Thanks