bought co detector, now where to put it?

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:03:25 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Yes, and you can tell if most of it is working or not.
They do have some sort of test device that releases CO when opened. they're only the size of 4 nickles, or maybe 2 quarters, and I haven't seen them retail iirc.

I have seen the testers you mention somewhere. The kits comes with a heavy duty zipper lock plastic bag and a capsule with concentrated CO gas in it, along with explicit instructions not to test inside a building.

And PS: I wish I had paid only $33 for mine!
Jo Ann
ap wrote:

Did you read the fucking manual????????????
Alan
= It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.
Best place to put it would be back on the shelf at the store.
Flame away.
HeatMan wrote:

as in my Nighthawk book. The book also says that the minimum for an alarm is 70ppm within 60 to 240 minutes. The display won't show anything below 29ppm unless you press the peak level button and then it will show 11 to 29ppm. In English that means it can't detect anything under 11 ppm.
That's good enough for me. Hell a model that wouldn't detect 500ppm would be ok if just seeing satisfied my wife. Diligent maintenance of gas appliance is far more important that having a CO detector. Mine hasn't gone off (except for a low battery alarm) in 4 years and I don't expect that it will ever go off before the detector fails. I'll just keep watching my furnace and water heater for any changes in operation--noise, visual, etc.

That's not a good way to check your system(s). Get a trained HVAC expert to go over your system with a recently calibrated CO detector. I use a Bacarach Fyrite Pro 125.

breathe at a 1.0. Based on that information, even though it's lighter than air, it's not going up or down fast.
Thanks. That is quite a thread! I have mine set on a table near the bedrooms and so far it's showing a zero reading. The package came with 3 AAA energizer batteries and indicates that it will start chirping when the battery goes low.
How long have the batteries lasted for you folks ?
Thanks!